What's new

Cancer woman 'played in asbestos'

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
"A woman who died from lung cancer played as a child in ashes "like they were snow" after a fire at a building containing asbestos, an inquest heard.

Ellen Paddock, 31, believed her cancer was a result of the blaze at the MoD base near her home in Donnington, Shropshire, in 1983.";

BBC NEWS | England | Shropshire | Cancer woman 'played in asbestos'

This is actually quite worry since as a kid i was made to clear up a load of broken asbestos over the course of many weeks (its a long story). If this woman can get asbestos cancer after such a long period of time of not coming into contact with it, i wonder if something bad could happen to me like that...?
Has anyone here had to clear up broken asbestos etc?

The matter sounds worrying, so I suggest you ask a doctor. I mean, people here can BS and say loads of smart stuff, but asking a professional would the best solution.
When it comes to health, one must be selfish.
I don't know much about cancer, but 1983 sounds a little steep.

I think each person is affected differently ?

30 years ago in the auto industry, all brake and clutch products were made of asbestoes. I would be covered with the dust every quarter when we did inventory; at least 10 years of very heavy exposure and no problems from it yet. Our store and shop were loaded with hundreds of dangerous chemicals we got on us and breathed everyday. Of the 50 regular employees we had , about 30 died of some type of cancer. The ones of us still alive are the ones who did not smoke, drink , and lived a healthier life style. I get a good physical with chest x-ray each year , and so far so good.

Uncle Frank

I only encountered asbestos on one isolated occasion. Don't ask me where it came from, I have no idea, but we somehow managed to get hold of two sheets of asbestos at Guy Fawkes when I was 13 or 14. We thought it would be great fun to throw them on the bonfire to see if they really were fireproof. They were!

As for the danger, I agree with Derfel, you should get it checked out. And if you smoke, think seriously about giving up!

Back
Top Bottom