What's new

Can you survive 40 days without Facebook?

I once made it for 2 1/2 days without Facebook , but couldn't stop shaking and couldn't sleep. When I lost control of my bowels & bladder and had to wear diapers , I gave up and logged back into Facebook. The same thing happens to me if I don't get on JREF for more than 12 hours.

I don't even have a facebook account. Last time i really used facebook was once or twice when facebook was for college students only years ago before facebook went public but, i don't even use it.

i forgot, yes i do have a facebook account for my website but that for my website use and i don't even use it or log on to it because my website is not doing well. 😂😭

Yes, absolutely! My family and close friends are all on WhatsApp, so I no longer use the messenger. I keep my account mainly for the JREF page (which we update very infrequently). I do check in every week because, sadly, a lot of former JREF members (all of them well over 40 ;)) post there and no longer frequent our website.

In fact, I have been consulting with @Uncle Frank whether we should start a JREF FB group (in addition to the FB page) but I couldn't bring myself to sign up yet.

I used to be very active on Facebook but haven't posted on it for years. I just check it sometimes to see how my family in the Netherlands are doing. So yeah pretty easy to not be active on FB.

Not being able to use Line for a day would make me insane though. Hehe

FB is so toxic that I'm trying not to make it for personal use. As a business owner, however, it accounts for a lot of one time visitors that generate immediate income, allowing me to do greater things up front than normal, until search (organic/Google) traffic fills in the remaining and everything is green much quicker into perpetuity.

Not being able to use Line for a day would make me insane though. Hehe
Yep. Can't get by without LINE as it's how we stay connected as a family when it's inappropriate to call.

I don't get into the "social" aspect of it that most have (looks like it's turning into a FB alternative with a feed and such), just use it as a messaging service.

I do like stickers over default emoji as it can say a sentence in 1 image, but I've never paid for them. If I see a product that has a LINE point campaign, I'll buy it and chance it, just to try something new too. I did get heavily into some melon chuhais, paying about 2400 yen overall to collect 400 points (400 yen) and bought 2 or 3 sticker packs with that. 🙃

Oh, and used my T-Point card to get some extra cash too. :p

Yes, absolutely! My family and close friends are all on WhatsApp, so I no longer use the messenger. I keep my account mainly for the JREF page (which we update very infrequently). I do check in every week because, sadly, a lot of former JREF members (all of them well over 40 ;)) post there and no longer frequent our website.

In fact, I have been consulting with @Uncle Frank whether we should start a JREF FB group (in addition to the FB page) but I couldn't bring myself to sign up yet.

The main problem I have with facebook groups other than facebook wanting all your personal information to even look at it is it is harder to browse previous topics. One can do a search and it sort of works but I feel like a lot of good info sort of gets lost on a group unlike a forum.

The main problem I have with facebook groups other than facebook wanting all your personal information to even look at it is it is harder to browse previous topics. One can do a search and it sort of works but I feel like a lot of good info sort of gets lost on a group unlike a forum.

I could not agree with you more. That's what forum owners have been preaching ever since FB groups gained in popularity. Apart from divulging personal data and the lacking discoverability of historic content FB groups are subject to ever-changing ToS and might disappear overnight without prior notice.

To howl with the wolves or not? :)

Being an old fart who hates change , Facebook in doing a major facelift at the end of this month and I hate it. Also , the new AI program they use to find pictures they don't like , anything that shows death or anything they call hate speech went into my photo albums and wrecked havoc. For example , a reenactment color picture of the Revolutionary War with actors on the ground playing dead got covered for being too violent. A normal human would have realized they were not real dead bodies (I hope anyway), and hidden the picture. I was also kind of shocked they would go into a members photos and bother them.

I use FB groups mostly transactionally -- for example if I'm going on a cruise, I'll join the group for that particular cruise -- because that's where the action is. But I don't like them because they tend to be little fiefdoms subject to the whims of the person who set them up. Plus, as you say, it's very difficult to go back and find something later unless you had the foresight to save it at the time you saw it.

Back
Top Bottom