What's new

C. 1935 Japanese American Ladies group of Hollywood, CA

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
Another addition to my Japanese American collection. Unlike so many photos, this one does have a caption / title. The photo studio was located in Hollywood, California.

Any help with a translation would be greatly appreciated,
Hollywood.jpg
Hollywood caption.jpg

みどり會幹部及理事
Staffs and directors of Midori-kai (the name of a society/club)

Thank you so much, Toritoribe! I did a little digging to learn more about the ' Midori-kai ' clubs. Found an excerpt from ' City Girls: The Nisei Social World in Los Angeles 1920-1950 ' by Valerie Matsumo. Good explanation of the purpose of the clubs so I purchased the book - looks really interesting.

Thank you so much, Toritoribe! I did a little digging to learn more about the ' Midori-kai ' clubs. Found an excerpt from ' City Girls: The Nisei Social World in Los Angeles 1920-1950 ' by Valerie Matsumo. Good explanation of the purpose of the clubs so I purchased the book - looks really interesting.
Well don't leave us hanging! What did the Midori-kais do?

Basically helped Japanese women learn how to cook and bake in Western style food. Also taught them Japanese cooking. Is referred to in the book as an " Uptown Ladies Club ". The Japanese YMCA also offered lessons to the Japanese American ladies.

I think this is going to be a really interesting book.

City Girls

Back
Top Bottom