What's new

C. 1920 Japanese Fire Department

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello!

I not only collect vintage Japanese American photographs but photos from Japan as well. Another subject I collect is vintage photographs of fire departments, fires, firemen etc.

So when I find a photograph that combines two interests I am very pleased to add this to my collection. This is a larger mounted photograph depicting a Japanese Fire Department - first one I have ever seen. As with so many vintage photos there is no caption or title to identify the men, town etc.

But there is a photo studio blind stamp and the writing on the men's uniforms. I can not translate this and am hoping one of the forum members can do this for me. I am hoping the writing actually identifies the group or village they protect. In any case, I hope you all enjoy the photo.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
stamp
山梨寫眞業組合
Yamanashi Photographers/Photo Studios Union

writing on the collar of hanten
源新田消防組
Minamoto Shinden Fire Brigade

源 refers to Minamoto village, Yamanashi prefecture. There were two areas that contained 新田 in Minamoto village; 曲輪田新田 and 飯野新田. I can see a kanji 輪 on the flag, so the fire brigade belonged to 山梨県中巨摩郡源村曲輪田新田 Kuruwadashinden, Minamoto village, Nakakoma county, Yamanashi prefecture, the present 南アルプス市曲輪田新田 Kuruwadashinden, Minami-Alps city.

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Toritoribe!

When did the location ' Kuruwadashinden, Minamoto village, Nakakoma county, Yamanashi prefecture ' become renamed ' Kuruwadashinden, Minami-Alps city ' ?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Kuruwadashinden was incorporated into Shirane town from Minamoto village at 1st Novemver, 1957. Shirane town and 5 towns and villages were merged to establish the new city Minami-Alps at 1st April, 2003. As a result, the present address is Kuruwadashinden, Minami-Alps city, Yamanashi prefecture. Minamoto village was established at 27th January, 1875, so the photo was taken sometime between 1875 and 1957.

Do you have a close-up of the lantern the right-end man was holding? There seems to be the writing on it.

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thank you, Toritoribe.

I will post a close up of the lantern in my next post.

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hard to read the lantern even with a bit of added contrast. I can rescan this section at twice the size but am not certain it would help.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The last 4 kanji look like 田新田區(=区), so it must be 曲輪田新田區 Kuruwadashinden district. Unfortunately, it's not new information, though.

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
I really appreciate your help. I would not be able to identify this fire company otherwise. The photo would be yet another ' Unknown Fire Department ' notation in my collection ledger.

Thank you.