What's new

c. 1910 Japanese post card

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
I recently added a really nice item to my Japanese postcard collection. It depicts two Japanese girls playing a card game and in the top left is either a title or a signature. Would someone be able to help me decipher this writing?

If anyone has interest in this form of Japanese art I highly recommend the book ' Art of the Japanese Postcard, the Leonard A. Lauder Collection at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston '

Attachments

• Japan forum.jpg
    Japan forum.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Japan forum title.jpg
    Japan forum title.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 107
I think it might just be sticky for you only. It shows up as a regular thread for me.
As for the writing, it's not the artist's name, but I can't make out the first character. The second is 戦 (battle).

Understood, Majestic.

I have scanned the first character much larger and have uploaded.

Attachments

• Detail no.1.jpg
    Detail no.1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 65
I wonder if they are playing a card game called ' War '. With the translation of the word ' battle ' maybe this was close to the name as it was called in Europe. It is an old game with many variations dating back to the 19th century.

I never did understand why my Japanese friends would yell & scream & throw the cards down while playing Hanafuda. The ferocity with which they played made me wonder if they played for money or were just drunk.
hfcg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom