What's new

Attention English Teachers!

Man_in_Tokyo

Registered
14 Jan 2017
Attention English teachers in Japan!! I have a great opportunity for your middle school students. I am organizing a contest for an all-expenses trip to Space Camp in the USA for a teacher and two students. I live in Tokyo but do not have many connections with schools in Japan. I thought maybe an English teacher might want to help get the word out.
If you think there are science teachers at your school that might be interested, please let me know.

I do not have a website but I have a flyer I can send to you privately if you want.

For general information about Space Camp, check out spacecamp.com or search it up on YouTube.

When, and for how long? How did you manage this? Who is paying? Why is this offered to Japanese?

When, and for how long? How did you manage this? Who is paying? Why is this offered to Japanese?

The camp is from July 9 to 14. I need to have the attendees selected by March 17. The space camp program is something my company sponsors every year for STEM outreach. Historically it has been for kids in the US, but this year we opened the door to international kids. This is the first year it has been open to Japanese kids, so I really don't have any contacts at local middle schools.

The camp is from July 9 to 14. I need to have the attendees selected by March 17. The space camp program is something my company sponsors every year for STEM outreach. Historically it has been for kids in the US, but this year we opened the door to international kids. This is the first year it has been open to Japanese kids, so I really don't have any contacts at local middle schools.

It would be more effective to go through your local board of education than to make a Hail Mary post hoping some random ALT will be able to arrange it.

Does your company not have any Japanese-capable staff? A little bit of liaising with a BoE should solve the problem for this year and have you all good to go in the future as well.

Alternately, you might try going through a place like the Mukai Chiaki Children's Science Museum: 向井千秋記念子ども科学館

Chiaki Mukai - Wikipedia

Your timing couldn't be much worse. Kids are just going back to classes this week or last week from winter break, and they have only another month or 6 weeks until their spring break. Nobody is around in March. The academic year here begins in April, you see. I don't think you have given anyone enough time to decide to go.

Besides, that time frame in July is smack in the middle of the first semester of school here. Yes, kids here don't have June, July, August off for a summer break. Just part of August.

If you insist on this, I'd strongly suggest seeing if your chamber of commerce has a sister city arrangement with a school here, and they can expedite announcements and such. JREF is just a discussion forum, and very few teachers or Japanese haunt this place. That's what Mike meant by a hail Mary pass and random ALT.

Alternately, go to the ESL Cafe discussion forum and test the waters, but you're still going to run into the timing issue. At least over there, virtually all posters are teachers.

Back
Top Bottom