What's new

Aso: Japanese rice tastier due to global warming

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Either he is a hopeless optimist, or.... he is just being Taro Aso. Comedy gold. :LOL:

Former Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso said Monday that rice on the northernmost main island of Hokkaido "has become tastier thanks to (global) warming," a remark likely to raise eyebrows of climate campaigners. People often associate a warming climate with negative developments, but there is "something good," said the 81-year-old politician, who until recently had served as finance minister for nearly nine years. He made the remarks while giving a stump speech in Hokkaido's Otaru for a Liberal Democratic Party candidate running in Sunday's general election.

Aso's remark is not a mistake, but it is not an appropriate remark.
Having come to be able to cultivate rice in Hokkaido after the Meiji .
In addition, I did not seem to be able to eat it in Hokkaido as the rice of Hokkaido was not delicious either.
However, "Kirara 397" is made by longtime selective breeding in 1988 and comes to be eaten in Tokyo.
2001 "Nanatsuboshi",2003 "Fukkurinko","Yumepirika" was produced in 2008.
The rice of Hokkaido became the top at a competitive exhibition for 2011 years.
The effort of a longtime researcher and selective breeding and the cultivation technology development of the farmhouse contributes to the fact that rice of Hokkaido became delicious.
Currently, rice production in Hokkaido is second in all prefectures.
The northern limit of rice cultivation in Hokkaido has reached Embetsu Town.

Aso's remark is not a mistake, but it is not an appropriate remark.
Having come to be able to cultivate rice in Hokkaido after the Meiji .
In addition, I did not seem to be able to eat it in Hokkaido as the rice of Hokkaido was not delicious either.
However, "Kirara 397" is made by longtime selective breeding in 1988 and comes to be eaten in Tokyo.
2001 "Nanatsuboshi",2003 "Fukkurinko","Yumepirika" was produced in 2008.
The rice of Hokkaido became the top at a competitive exhibition for 2011 years.
The effort of a longtime researcher and selective breeding and the cultivation technology development of the farmhouse contributes to the fact that rice of Hokkaido became delicious.
Currently, rice production in Hokkaido is second in all prefectures.
The northern limit of rice cultivation in Hokkaido has reached Embetsu Town.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea Hokkaido was the second-largest rice producer in Japan. And all thanks to global warming. :LOL:

RankingPrefecturesYieldRatio
01Niigata627,600t8.1%
02Hokkaido514,800t6.6%
03Akita491,100t6.3%
04Yamagata374,100t4.8%
05Miyagi371,400t4.8%
06Fukushima364,100t4.7%
07Ibaraki358,400t4.6%
08Tochigi321,800t4.1%
09Chiba301,400t3.9%
10Iwate273,100t3.5%

I'm still waiting for no more snow here in Maine in the winter.
200.gif

Hokkaido is the place where I can feel the effects of global warming most in Japan.
I go to Hokkai Island touring every summer, so in the past it never exceeded 30 degrees Celsius in Hokkaido.
However, nowadays, it has become commonplace for Sapporo and Asahikawa to continue to exceed 30 egrees Celsius.
About 20 years ago, when I went to Hidaka on a summer Hokkaido touring, I warmed my body with a stove.
And there were no coolers in Hokkaido.

Back
Top Bottom