What's new

As a 20-21 year old university student, is there a stigma to dating someone younger than 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Aug 2019
I'm currently a 20 year old uni student going on study abroad and during that time, I will turn 21. I am open to the idea of dating someone in uni while I am there and while I would prefer someone my year, I guess I would be ok with a little younger. I understand that in Japan, the age of majority is considered 20 and I want to be respectful of the culture/customs there. So I was wondering, is there a stigma/issues with dating a uni student 18-19 while being 20-21?

None that I've heard of. The age of 20 only applies to cigarettes and alcohol these days as far as I know (the voting age has recently been reduced to 18). I'll ask a young Japanese guy I know for you and get back to you.

And I've got my reply. No problems at all according to an undergraduate at Waseda, though he pointed out that it would be illegal for you to have sex if the girl was under 18.

Considering that university students are 18 or 19 when they begin, I can't see any reason why it would be strange or taboo for them to date 20-21 year olds. It's part of their environment. As mentioned earlier, the "age of majority" (a weird phrase, IMO) only applies to certain legal things.

It's annoying when you make a bit of effort to find out something for someone and they never get back to you.

It's annoying when you make a bit of effort to find out something for someone and they never get back to you.

It happens not infrequently on this forum. I never put too much work into my initial replies until I determine the OP is actively involved.

I am amazed by the "chiebukuro" forum on Yahoo Japan. Most Japanese people who post there provide an individual reply to each responder, even when the replies are kinda half-assed and not very helpful. It is probably due, in part, to Yahoo harassing them to submit a reply, but still...

Maybe this forum's software has a feature which periodically sends a reminder e-mail to OPs whose initial posts have received replies, but for which there have not been any follow-up posts from the OPs themselves. @thomas ?

I added a 'like' to your main reply here. I hope that helps a little! Your efforts are appreciated!

That's very kind of you, and in true Japanese style I have given you one back! I don't think Thomas needs to do anything about this, but hopefully sometime the OP will get round to reading these comments and learn from them.

I wish I could say that social media are to be blamed but unfortunately, this issue has been around since the beginning of online fora. OPs receive post notifications to which they can respond or not. Sadly, many of them don't have the courtesy to express their thankfulness for other members' efforts.

Just last week, we had two threads where fly-by posters asked about their itineraries. Both received lots of valuable advice and suggestions, none has bothered to return and at least leave a "Like". Hopefully, such threads prove helpful to other visitors and perhaps some of the elusive OPs will return and acknowledge the answers they have received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom