What's new

Are there some people who just can't learn Japanese?

MTR

後輩
8 Jun 2009
I tutor two people. They study Japanese in school, but they don't have anyone to practice the language with, so I'm just helping them out. We just chat in Japanese, but when it's difficult, we speak in their native language too, and I offer explanations. One thing I notice about them is the different abilities to remember and use new words. One person learns words with ease, seems to recall them one week later, but the other one doesn't, or can't. Are there some people who just can't learn? I don't get paid for tutoring. I put my own time and money for this. It's rewarding when people are learning well, but when they aren't learning, I don't think it's worthwhile. I think the latter person is wasting my time and money.
She says she got a failing grade in a quiz, but she's only in the beginners level. Can she continue like that to the next level? I usually got perfect or near perfect grades at that level when I was learning languages, so I don't know what to do.
Does anyone know what's going on?

I think it's just like learning to play the piano or studying math or other subjects at school. You need the drive and strong interest in it, the willingness and patience to study and practice everyday, and put it to use whenever possible. If you don't have that, it's not going work.

There is also the "gift" factor, too. Some people master things faster than others. For people who learn quicker, slow learners can be annoying, but if the drive is there, you need to be patient.

Preferably, the two people you mentioned should be practicing separately. Getting two people who are on quite different progress levels can hamper learning for the both of them. The quicker learner gets frustrated by the slow pace; the slow learner will be easily disappointed and may abandon study very soon.

yup, agree with epigene. Alternatively, arrange with the slower one extra lessons to help him/her. =)

P.S: Teacher for 5 yrs here.

It is possible that one is the same type student often encountered in Eikaiwa schools....the type who never gives a thought to the language or the lessons except for the time they're actually sitting in front of the teacher. For those people, yes, progress is pretty much impossible. They expect to just somehow magically absorb the language without effort.

The other student probably reviews the material between times and in other ways puts in some actual effort.

It is a disservice to all three of you to attempt to continue in the same class.

If it were me, I would calmly but frankly point out to the one treating it like a chance to get out of the house to enjoy some tea and cookies that she is wasting my limited time and money and that she was no longer welcome in the class. Unless she is really pretty or has big knockers or something, of course; let's not get carried away here.

Thank you guys! Just one more question! She's just finished the beginners' level, i.e. 6 months of Japanese lessons, currently looking for a part time job in Japan. What are the jobs she can do with her limited Japanese? She wants to speak the language more so she can practice. Can she work in combini or restaurants?

Thank you guys! Just one more question! She's just finished the beginners' level, i.e. 6 months of Japanese lessons, currently looking for a part time job in Japan. What are the jobs she can do with her limited Japanese? She wants to speak the language more so she can practice. Can she work in combini or restaurants?

Is she already in Japan? If so what is her VISA status? I know you are asking about what her language level qualifies her to do but that isn't the only thing to consider unless she is a Japanese national and has no restrictions on employment / stay in Japan.

Of course as her tutor this is probably none of your concern but it might be something to mention to her.

Is she already in Japan? If so what is her VISA status? I know you are asking about what her language level qualifies her to do but that isn't the only thing to consider unless she is a Japanese national and has no restrictions on employment / stay in Japan.
Of course as her tutor this is probably none of your concern but it might be something to mention to her.
Hi, thank you!
Her current visa status is "Student" (maybe ryugakusei? She's a college graduate in her own country, but studying as a Japanese language school student in Japan.) I think she can obtain a work permit and work up to 28 hrs a week.

MTR- Anyone and everyone can learn anything. Some people are more adept in certain areas than other, but the only truly limiting factor in your ability to learn is determination. I never cared for math, therefore I barely passed the classes that I had to take because I never put any effort into them, but I love playing the double bass enough to major in it, therefore I put all possible effort into it and excel in it above all other subjects that I have taken.

Thank you! If she's the type of person who never cared for the language, then fine. That's her choice. But why does she want a tutorial then? For me, it's like filling a bucket with a hole in it.

Last time, she came 10 minutes late (again, wasting my time!) and when it was finished I asked her, "When will we meet next time? How about this day? " She said, "OK? if you want to?" As if she's doing me a favor by coming! I felt a little tired at this point.

You know....how long you choose to continue banging your head on this same wall is entirely under your control.

You know....how long you choose to continue banging your head on this same wall is entirely under your control.
I wish I could simply say "No more!", but that's not how it works. There's someone else asking me to help her. That's why. At least, I'll have to continue a couple of times more, so they can find someone else who can help her. (Maybe until the end of october.) While it still continues, I want opinions and advice. Thank you.

Perhaps try turning the conversation to study methods/schedules e.g. what books do you like to use, what time of day do you like to study. Give her an idea of how much effort/time you put in when studying languages, which I'm guessing is >>> what she's currently doing.

Or teach her something practical that she could use when in a shop or at the train station and encourage her to try it out before you next meet up.

Alternatively, teach her how to make an appointment in Japanese and then tell her to practice what she's learned by contacting you via email to set up the next study session. You can't be blamed if she slacks off and doesn't get in touch.

What advice is there to give? If you want to quit tutoring her, quit. If you can't quit, then consider it a chance to build your 辛抱力.

Have you asked her straight out how much effort she puts into learning when she's not actually sitting in class? Quite frankly, an abundance of students like her are a very large part of why I long ago quit the farcical world of Eikaiwa. My thoughts were, "Don't expect me to put more effort into your learning than you are." and "Don't expect me to care more about your problems than you do."

Back
Top Bottom