What's new

Anyone play ultimate frisbee?

lonesoullost3

Economist in Residence
1 Jul 2005
Does anyone here play ultimate frisbee?

It's a game that's starting to pick up in the US mostly in high schools and college. It was started way back in the 60s. Ultimate is pretty much a combination between american football, basketball, and soccer. There are two endzones and a pull (kickoff). To start, both teams stand on their endzone lines, and one team pulls the disc (throws it really far down field :p). The other team will then catch/pick up the disc and toss it to each other to get it down the field - without running! Once you have the disc, you can only pivot on one foot - like in basketball. If the disc is thrown out, intercepted, or dropped, play immediately begins again with the other team going the other direction.

Lots of people say "what a stupid game", but once you see it played you realize it requires a lot more skill and stamina than you think. There was a world championships earlier this month I think. I know Canada, the US, and some teams from Europe were there. I don't know if Japan and Korea went this year or not.

i played it a couple of weeks ago, it is fun i must agree.. just we had a mayor problem with the wind!!!!!! ...

i remember i did it on high school also but that was too long ago. fun fun fun it was 🙂

I've never played that game, but it sounds like fun.
I have a very cool frisbee called "Super Disc", it's a semi flexible disc with softer rubber outside ring, and it goes so far.

I wasn't looking once and run into a fece before.

dutch baka said:
i played it a couple of weeks ago, it is fun i must agree.. just we had a mayor problem with the wind!!!!!! ...

i remember i did it on high school also but that was too long ago. fun fun fun it was 🙂

Playing in the wind takes lots of practice. Essentially, when you are throwing back hand up wind, you want to release lower (don't throw down!!) - the wind will make the disc float. When throwing downwind, release higher (don't throw up!!) as the wind will push the disc down. When you throw forehand, it's the same concept for level of release, however when you throw upwind you really need to put a LOT of spin on the disc as well as release it with the outside edge angled down. The wind will pick up the edge and it will fly straight - if you don't it will just curve wildly.

That sounds great! I wanna play, I love frisbee, I played it while I was working sometimes in NZ, jsut normal frisbee that is.
How about Frisbee golf? Anyone played that???

Yeah you have a 'frisbee golf course' and you have to throw the frisbee, and you get points etc for how many times you hit it, until you get it at the right place. Very similar to golf. But you throw, not hit.

Back
Top Bottom