What's new

Anyone else hate Facebook ?

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
I spend a lot of time there and just had the craziest thing happen. If they make a mistake , there is no appeal process to show they are wrong. Their AI program often makes mistakes and they say they don't have people to appeal because of covid (a real copout). I posted that a idea the administration has is illegal and commented "I hope the court shoots it down" , a common term for the court saying it is not legal. I get a message saying a human (not an IA program) has determined wanting to shoot someone violates Facebook community standards against violence ?? I am now banned for a week?? I have to wonder if the person who banned me is from a country where English is a second language, LOL. Oh well , my rant for the day.

I've heard about it..., but have literally never signed up. They still have tracking pixels and leave traces everywhere. Mostly just to keep reading some things (news) that have article limits, I dump most all my cookies every other day or two. FB is always there.

Apart from that, I think FB is largely responsible for creating the present US political climate. For them, clicks and time on a page(s) mean manipulation, control, power, and money. The rest of it is illusion--that they are somehow doing something good.

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist.
- Hannah Arendt

I've been using it for over 10 years I think. At first it was a great way to stay in touch with people I grew up with , went to school with and Navy people I served with and a few old friends from JREF that no longer visit here. I think it was during Obama's rule , it started to get political and now days it seems to be 90% political . I never had a problem being put into Facebook jail until the put in an AI program that seems to home in on key words and not taking them in full context. Some things really perplex me on their judgement. I made a comment that the gun stores I shop at had no ammunition at all and almost no guns left. I got a 3 day ban for promoting gun sales on that one. Another time I shared a picture of an Iranian protest where they all had signs promoting violence against non-Muslims and got a ban for promoting hate. If there were a way to nicely argue the bans , I would feel better about it , but you are guilty if they say so and no way to question it or appeal it seems a bit unfair. The info posted on Facebook definitely is off the wall and too many people take it for the truth. The fact that it is a war zone now between several groups (mostly liberal vs conservative) makes it kind of like reading a tabloid newspaper or watching a soap opera. I mainly use it to store a ton of pictures now days or I'd leave it.

We used Facebook to share new content on JREF. We have about 5,500 followers (I haven't checked in a while). However, if you share a new article or a review, only a marginal amount of followers will ever get to see it. FB wants you to "promote" your content by basically paying for each click. And very few clicks result in someone signing up to the forum, which is the only reason to promote anything on FB. It's ridiculous.

I have joined FB groups, but the format is not very accomodating and inviting. I spend more time on Quora and use WhatsApp, Line and Signal to communicate with family and friends. Several of my friends decided to delete their FB accounts.

If I want to indulge in toxicity I read the user comments on FoxNews.

So, no, I don't hate Facebook, it just plays no role in my life. 🤷‍♂️

I use it still. I found out in 2016 that you get locked in algorithm loops there. If you click on political content, it will serve you more. I stopped clicking through on stuff I didn't like, and only interacted with stuff in a positive way, and now I mainly have positive stuff come up. It's very much a mirror of your activities. If you hate the content on it....

But a lot of the people I am closer friends with are off the site, and it's pretty useless for sharing art with unless you want to pay to promote it. It's not very good compared to what it was like 10 years ago. Ironically, the ads they show me are so bad at target marketing me that it's a testament to what a waste ever buying FB advertising is.

I follow your artwork on Facebook nahadef. I think I see it there faster than on here.

I follow @nahadef on Tumblr and, of course, in his very own thread here on the forum. Usually, thread notifications are being sent out pretty fast, but we cannot compete with FB's proprietary app.

I hate to confess , I spend a little bit more time on Facebook than here , but I check in at least once an hour when not sleeping. I feel hurt when someone bags a spammer before I do , LOL.

This is a Japan forum, so I tend to post stuff related to Japan only. As a user here, I would get tired of a user regularly posting their own stuff, no connection to the forum purpose.

I've mostly stopped with Tumblr, I've even mostly stopped with everything. I have about 40 pages that haven't been shared anywhere. These social media companies have broken their systems by trying to optimize and monetize their systems. I prefer to just print my stuff up and take it to an event to sell. I post online just for the sake of connecting to someone who is interested in publishing some, rather than trying to build an audience

I've been using it for over 10 years I think. At first it was a great way to stay in touch with people I grew up with , went to school with and Navy people I served with and a few old friends from JREF that no longer visit here. I think it was during Obama's rule , it started to get political and now days it seems to be 90% political . I never had a problem being put into Facebook jail until the put in an AI program that seems to home in on key words and not taking them in full context. Some things really perplex me on their judgement. I made a comment that the gun stores I shop at had no ammunition at all and almost no guns left. I got a 3 day ban for promoting gun sales on that one. Another time I shared a picture of an Iranian protest where they all had signs promoting violence against non-Muslims and got a ban for promoting hate. If there were a way to nicely argue the bans , I would feel better about it , but you are guilty if they say so and no way to question it or appeal it seems a bit unfair. The info posted on Facebook definitely is off the wall and too many people take it for the truth. The fact that it is a war zone now between several groups (mostly liberal vs conservative) makes it kind of like reading a tabloid newspaper or watching a soap opera. I mainly use it to store a ton of pictures now days or I'd leave it.
I've also had a couple of comments removed on FB without any explanation of why they were removed (or even which comments they were!), which was baffling, because as you can probably tell, I don't go in for inflammatory posting!

I've mostly stopped with Tumblr, I've even mostly stopped with everything. I have about 40 pages that haven't been shared anywhere. These social media companies have broken their systems by trying to optimize and monetize their systems. I prefer to just print my stuff up and take it to an event to sell. I post online just for the sake of connecting to someone who is interested in publishing some, rather than trying to build an audience

I know you don't get much exposure here, but I'm always happy when you share your art and your stories with us - Japan-related or not. :)

The only thing I don't like Facebook is the 60 days policy of cannot changing name, if only I could dig into the source code of the site, and see the bits of it...

Maybe we should invent our own social network site....

Back
Top Bottom