What's new

Another Katakana Question

Inter

後輩
3 Feb 2003
Hi!

How do you learn Katakana, and how do you remember them,
it seems impoosible to remember the roman spelling but it is easier to remember the Katakana, what kind of method is you using to remember the roman spelling for the Katakana?

Thanx

Regards

Jonas

just spell it how it sounds, its a phonectical alphabet. if ya forget then say it a couple times aloud, you should be able to determine the spelling.

I learned the kanas in school using pictures. Kind of like "c is for cat" and you have a picture of a cat with the letter c somewhere incorporated onto the cat. Except for alphabets, everyone learned how to say the ABCs in order before even knowing how to write them. In Japanese, you already know English which can help you.
As to remembering, that takes some time and after a month or so of writing practice, it all sinks in.

Are you learning individual katakana characters or are you trying to remember whole words? I don't understand what you mean when you say you can remember katakana, but not romanic spelling. Do you mean you can write character but you can't remember what it is?

Tiger

I learn the Katakana first and then after that I am trying to memorising the roman spelling.

Regards

Jonas

I learned by making flash cards for myself, with the kana on one side and the romaji on the other. That way I could switch back and forth and memorize in both directions. I did this for hiragana too. I'd memorize five per day (ka ki ku ke ko, sa shi su se so, etc.), and drill cumulatively as I went along. Then I'd just sit and scribble them all on a piece of paper at my desk at work, over and over, in both directions. Worked well for me!

😄

I guess flash cards are OK. I never used them. If one learned the Japanese vowels a i u e o and then the two letter syllables, ka ki ku ke ko etc. I'm no good at this explaining. I can say, I also speak Spanish. If one speaks either language to learn the other comes easy. I ran a dinner cruise /sightseeing vessel for eight years. Was their top licensed Captain. Boss told me to learn Spanish and he offered me an additional $20.00 a day with my salary. I narrated the cruise in English, Spanish and Japanese. A few years ago, for kicks, I ordered 51 Languages of The World. It's a CD. It's not bad, in sound and native speaking . This is a memory thing. As far as I know Spanish and Japanese use similar pronuciation. My Spanish came from Miami/Dade Community College. I took their credit and non-credit courses in Spanish. My Spanish is heavily speckled with the Cuban dialect as resided in Little Havana with the street Spanish. We were also involved with the 1980 Boatlift Evacuation of Mariel. Cuba. With our cargo tug we smuggled 60 Marielitos to the USA. To make matters worse I was still in the navy then. When I get started telling of our ventures I don't know when to quit. Sorry I get off subject.

Originally posted by Inter
Hi!

How do you learn Katakana, and how do you remember them,
it seems impossible to remember the roman spelling but it is easier to remember the Katakana, what kind of method are you using to remember the roman spelling for the Katakana?

Thanx

Regards

Jonas

Try this site for learning katakana, hiragana and some basic kanji. Drill yourself with flashcards...worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom