What's new

And today's weather where you are is..........

Much of the US has been in the deep freeze lately. Woke up this morning to a temperature of -8F/-22C. The wind on the skin (called wind chill factor) makes it feel like -17F/-27C here in Portland , Maine. I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to go outdoors today.

Rainy and cold... bit sad the weather today, but nothing bad to complain about I guess. Could be worse :D

Got 4 inches of light fluffy snow today which makes for easy shoveling. The temperature is "almost" above freezing , but getting real cold tomorrow. Next storm is due in Friday , hope it's the same.

Having an all day snowstorm here in Maine today. The weathermen can't agree on amount , somewhere between 3 and 10 inches before it's done later tonight. The temperature is right at freezing , so we could get an ice storm which is a pain to clean up. So far the power went off once and the news mentions several vehicle crashes. We have had a pretty easy winter when it comes to snow this year , 14 inches less than we normally have by now. My snow blower is all gassed up and ready to go. The hardest part for me is using the 20 foot long snow rake to pull the snow off my roof. I have a steel roof that waits till everything is cleaned up and it decides to drop a ton of snow back down onto the driveway and back steps so you always clean the roof first.

Sure hope the weatherman's wrong ! There's a giant snow storm coming in Monday night lasting till Wednesday. They say everyone will get at least a foot of snow and one predicts 3 feet for my area. Add to it 40 to 60 mile an hour winds and it sounds like a storm of the century type nor-easter. I'm crossing my fingers it goes out to sea.

Weathermen were right, Juno is a big storm. We have about 2 feet of snow already with drifts 3 to 4 feet high everywhere. You can only see about 100 feet at best with the wind pretty steady at 40 miles per hour. We are only half way through the storm , so by tomorrow morning it will be quite a job to do clean up. By then , there should be 5 and 6 foot high snow drifts. So far for my neighborhood , no loss of electricity , but many areas are without power. I can not imagine being an electrical worker 25 feet up in the wind working on ice cold power lines. With temps at 18 F and -7 C , I would not want to be without heat for very long.

This is turning out to be the winter from hell in Maine this year. We are getting 1 or 2 more feet of snow today on top of over 2 feet we already have. The snow banks are at 5 feet high or more , making it very hard to drive. My yard around my house is 4 to 5 feet high with snow and it seems I will not see my lawn until the end of July , LOL. Todays storm comes with 35 to 45 mile per hour winds which makes it almost impossible to see while driving. I expect the wind will cause snow banks about 8 feet high by tomorrow in many places. The people who do snow plowing and clean up have been working 16 hour days for almost 2 weeks with out a break. Even with my powerful snow blower , clean up for my house takes about 2 hours minimum. I can see why many old people move down south where there is no snow.

Anyone from a warm snowless climate want to adopt an old man for a few months? Here in Portland , we have well over 6 feet of snow so far , most of it in the last 2 weeks. Driving is a nightmare with narrow snow covered roads and snow banks 8 to 10 feet high blocking your view of other traffic. The weather report for Saturday & Sunday is for 1 to 2 feet of snow and 40 mile per hour winds with temperatures near zero F. The weatherman also predicted more snow for next week. Most of my windows in my home now open to snow above the windows' height and my front door is buried by about 8 feet of snow. My furnace has been running non stop for over a month and needed a new fuel pump and other parts ; just wore them out. Mother Nature sure seems angry this winter.

Wow, sounds terrible! Fortunately, we have no snow now, though it's windy and snowing since this morning.

During the 2 years I lived in Fukuoka , it probably only snowed 2 or 3 times and only an inch or two. I'm not sure if Japanese drivers still wait till the last minute to slam on the brakes at a red light , but they did back then. Each time it snowed , I would see several car accidents at almost every red light. They seemed to forget you slide on snow when you slam the brakes on. It's a memory that 45 years has not dulled the vision.

Your next trip to Japan is overdue, Frank! No snow here in Kanto, just crisp blue skies and daytime temperatures of around 10 degrees C. :)

I fear the jet lag would kill me from Maine to there , LOL. It is first on my bucket list of things to do right after I win the lottery and can afford a private jet. I'm trying to convince myself that all this snow cleanup is good exercise for me. I do have a great week coming up to make me feel better. My neighbors are going away for a week and I get to babysit their 3 cats. That means 5 cats in my life(counting my 2) ; lots of playtime and purrs.

The change in Maine weather since I was a child makes me believe in global warming. As a child in Maine , we always had a foot or more of snow on the ground for thanksgiving. Now , we usually don't get a good snow storm until January and often have rain on Christmas. Our temps the last few weeks have been about 10 degrees above normal. With a driveway 95 feet long , I have grown to hate snow , LOL.

Woke up today to snow falling. Here it is spring with buds on the trees and flowers coming up and the grass ready to be mowed and we are still getting snow. They say only 1 to 3 inches so hopefully it will melt soon.

Moscow sky is cloudless every 9th of may. Thanks to millions spent on dispersing clouds on approach to Moscow. This year's figure is 86 million rubles ($1.300.000) for the 9th of may alone. A total of 260 million rubles is expected to be wasted on weather modification in 2016.

Well , here we are , December 30 , 2016 , and it's winter in Maine again. Just had our third or forth snow storm last night. Here on the coast next to the ocean , we got 8 inches of wet heavy snow. Inland away from the coast , some towns got 25 inches or more of snow. So far I have not seen a snow plow on our street and it's almost 8AM . My wife took my all wheel drive Subaru with 4 heavy duty snow tires to work and made it OK. Out of 80 people in her office only 2 showed up so far. During the night , the snow slid off our steel roof and landed on the back steps , blocking us from getting out that way , lucky we have a front door to escape. My driveway is 95 feet long and 12 feet wide , so it takes about 2 hours with a big snow blower to clean it up. Sure wish I could afford to go somewhere warm for the winter , LOL.

I just left Da Nang and the rainy but warm weather there to be half-frozen in Tokyo... I might not be long for this.

I have never seen a snowfall and always looked forward to that experience but after reading these messages I'm having second thoughts :D
In India (my hometown) its winter time and the lowest temperature will be around 10 degrees. ( Thats cold for us)

In Austria, it has been pretty cold lately. It's snowing or raining most of the time, some streets had to be closed due to danger of black ice.
There have also been several avalanche warnings, especially within the regions close to the Alps.

It's snowing heavily here. TV news says that it's the first time in 20 years that the snow lies over 80cm deep...

We had a small blizzard yesterday with 7 inches of snow and 30 MPH winds and temperatures well below freezing. Tomorrow we are getting a small snow storm of 3 or 4 inches. Sunday night into Monday is another blizzard due in with one to two feet of snow and 50MPH winds. I sure don't need to go to the gym this week , each storm takes about 2 hours of hard work to clean up.

It's still snowing. My car is thoroughly under snow. Trains, buses, taxis, planes all stop. We are in an "inaccessible land" now...

Back
Top Bottom