What's new

African Americans in Japan

I was in Namba station with a Japanese female when a 50 something year-old woman started yelling at us.

Namba, as in on the Kintetsu line, as in 窶愿ッ窶挌? That's not too far from here. :)

By the way, what was she yelling? And did she just start yelling seemingly out of nowhere? I'm trying to get a picture of the scene in my head.

But mostly I've felt racsism from men around that age. As for the younger generation they are very curious about everything. But the funny thing about Japan is that a person's thoughts and feelings will be totally different than when they were young and in college. A college student can be very tolerant one year and then when they are 35 or so have a totally different feeling about something as they are heavily affected by the environment they live in.

I think it probably has more to do with the generation a person belongs to. Are you saying that you've known people who when in college were very tolerant, and then when they got older they became much less tolerant? Also, are we just talking about racial tolerance?

I'm African American and I plan on Living in Japan (with my fiance, who is Japanese) one day.

I have already lived there for two years as a bachelor, and I can say that those were the best two years of my life. I experienced no direct racism at all. The only discrimination coming from the "Japanese Only" establishments around town.

I can understand their point though, because all the Japanese women I came across, seemed to fall in love with me. If I was a Japanese guy, then i wouldn't want foreigners in my bar or club either.

^ But i've found the older WWII generation generally more racist anyway, no matter what country you're from. I hate to admit this but my parents once said that they didn't like the idea of mixed race marriages....they're just after WWII generation....

I can understand their point though, because all the Japanese women I came across, seemed to fall in love with me. If I was a Japanese guy, then i wouldn't want foreigners in my bar or club either.

It is just a hostess bar where you pay money at all.

What are you guys talking about?? I guess you all are on the side of the Japanese because many of you live there and want to believe that Japan is the best country ever. But Japanese are pure racists. plain and simple.

What are you guys talking about?? I guess you all are on the side of the Japanese because many of you live there and want to believe that Japan is the best country ever. But Japanese are pure racists. plain and simple.

I beg to differ. There are racist people everywhere, from every race. It's in our genes to be racist, that's why we people are taught to be tolerant of other cultures, creeds and ethnicities, because it isn't right to be racist.

Just take a middle-class Caucasian to some South Central neighborhood in L.A. and see what happens. What about the L.A. riots in Compton about 10 years ago? No, you don't see that. Of course some Japanese are racists, but then again, take a look at the whole world, not just Japan.

Mauricio

Pure racists Self Defence Force members has worked hard in Niigata, in which a great earthquake broke out, without taking a bath for more than 10 days.

Many Japanese were surprised to see the armed military members in the Hurricane Katrina. Why on earth did impure racists need the gun for disaster relief?

Japan isn't more racist towards blacks than the US. Japan just doesn't have political correctness like the US does. :p

look very few countries nowadays are racist. Iran, some crazy dictators in Sudan and maybe a few others. A whole country cannot be racist no more than all people can be geniuses or stupid. It's about individual people and i don't think that nowadays that many people care about skin color. I find it interesting that in school blacks almost always play the race card whereas everyone else couldn't really care less. Im just saying this as an example that you probably are worrying way too much about this stuff. Look at it this way. Im not even allowed into some countries due to my background.

All i'm saying is that I the years i lived in japan as a Black man, i never came across any blatant racism. Ignorance maybe, but no racism.

Some handsome Black dude having FUN with Japanese chicks @ local night club,very lovey-dovey :)

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I wish there were more posts. I too would like to travel to Japan one day but, most of the articles I have read online are discouraging.

Hi All !

Sorry to chime in so late, but as an African American, who's been living here in Japan now for about five years, I couldn't resist.
I love Japan. I work, I pay my taxes, I have been living my life to the fullest here. I have never experienced any form of racism directly. I am an overweight, fat and painfully average looking African American male in his mid-thirites. I have worked one job my whole time living here. Everything is good for me so far. I am not in the military.
In addition to all of that, I have published two books on Japan; one on hotsprings and the other on sake, both can be ordered online. In 2008 I plan to have two sold through a major bookstore in Japan. You can also visit my website, the url is on my profile.

Had I experienced racism I would have never published those two books. I would say don't worry about racism so much. I know people and places in America that are far more open about their racial hatred of blacks than in Japan.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I wish there were more posts. I too would like to travel to Japan one day but, most of the articles I have read online are discouraging.
Don't believe them. As long as you do not conduct yourself as an idiot, you will almost certainly be fine. You're not much more likely to experience racism here than in America, if at all. If not less. (After all, America isn't as progressive as many like to think.)

Regardless of what some say, the Japanese are not inherently racist. (No more than anyone else, that is.)

African nationals can be popular among local Japanese women

He came to Japan from Mali when he was 19-years-old. He started out working at a hip hop clothing store in Harajuku, but now that he's 37-year-olds and have a family to support, he's working for a construction company. He wakes up at 5AM and works all day from Monday to Saturday each week.

He met his wife 13 years ago. When asked what she liked about her husband, the wife says she likes black men, citing their style and musical ability as good points. She even says that she sometimes wishes she had been black instead of Japanese. Her parents opposed their marriage, apparently due to a belief that "foreigner equals criminal." It would seem that despite the husband's efforts to be friendly with her folks, the marriage is still frowned upon. Because of this their household exists in isolation of any extended family.

complete news story: http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=3523

Pathetic

Style and musical ability are dumb points for liking someone enough to marry them, let alone bare children and hate his/her own heritage. The parents had good reason to oppose the marriage from the start. I wouldn't want my daughter marrying this type of guy.

Style and musical ability are dumb points for liking someone enough to marry them, let alone bare children and hate his/her own heritage. The parents had good reason to oppose the marriage from the start. I wouldn't want my daughter marrying this type of guy.

She didn't said that she like only music and style at her husband just that they are good points. Maybe they like to speak about music and fashion. I wouldn't marry somebody just because we share similar musical taste but I would like to have something in common. Imagine you came home and you want to talk about your hobbies and dreams and your wife don 't give a damn because she likes completely different things that you. :)

Back
Top Bottom