What's new

About the たら form

Truzen

Kouhai
18 Aug 2015
Hi again. About the たら form, whether the たら clause is in the past or non-past depends only on the context?

For example, if i want to say, "if you have taken damage, heal yourself" and "if you will take damage use the shield". I think both sentences in Japanese uses the following たら clause: あなたがダメージを受けたら despite one being in the past and the other in the future. So, considering a person that doesn't know what heal and shield is, is it possible that the listener doesn't know if he/she have to use the shield/heal after or before taking the damage?

Last edited:
Hi again. About the たら form, whether the たら clause is in the past or non-past depends only on the context?

For example, if i want to say, "if you have taken damage, heal yourself" and "if you will take damage use the shield". I think both sentences in Japanese uses the following たら clause: あなたがダメージを受けたら despite one being in the past and the other in the future. So, considering a person that doesn't know what heal and shield is, is it possible that the listener doesn't know if he/she have to use the shield/heal after or before taking the damage?
Probably you'll want to use something like 受けたら (if receive(d) [damage]) and 受けそうなら (if looks like receive [damage]).
Or 受ける場合 (in the case that [damage] is received). Or 受ける前 (before receiving [damage]).

Back
Top Bottom