What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

About the たら form

Truzen

後輩
Reaction score
Hi again. About the たら form, whether the たら clause is in the past or non-past depends only on the context?

For example, if i want to say, "if you have taken damage, heal yourself" and "if you will take damage use the shield". I think both sentences in Japanese uses the following たら clause: あなたがダメージを受けたら despite one being in the past and the other in the future. So, considering a person that doesn't know what heal and shield is, is it possible that the listener doesn't know if he/she have to use the shield/heal after or before taking the damage?

Last edited:

mdchachi

Reaction score
Hi again. About the たら form, whether the たら clause is in the past or non-past depends only on the context?

For example, if i want to say, "if you have taken damage, heal yourself" and "if you will take damage use the shield". I think both sentences in Japanese uses the following たら clause: あなたがダメージを受けたら despite one being in the past and the other in the future. So, considering a person that doesn't know what heal and shield is, is it possible that the listener doesn't know if he/she have to use the shield/heal after or before taking the damage?
Probably you'll want to use something like 受けたら (if receive(d) [damage]) and 受けそうなら (if looks like receive [damage]).
Or 受ける場合 (in the case that [damage] is received). Or 受ける前 (before receiving [damage]).

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Top Bottom