What's new

A seperation of technology and country?

w1ngzer0

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Every science article i read is amazing whats coming out. It seems here in the states the big focus is bio technologies. Anything from making entire structures out of the stuff to making bio computers. So, the terminator scenario is over since this is the case.

In Japan, they are big on robots and using non bio related stuff. Almost automated is the thing over there

AND

Europe.

They are not seriously into technology and pre-pairing for 500 years later on this planet. Fast trains that go 200mph+. power plants that only rely on what the earth provides such things as wind and such. Other then that europe is a big hunka hunka burnin money machine.

Thats it.😌

Hang on one second please, I dont think all of what you have said is totally correct.
First off there is a very old saying that is very true - Dont believe everything that you read, not everything is as good as it looks.
As for Japan, I see a country that is way in advance of America and europe in terms of technology. Robots may be a thing that we will see in the not to distant future, but the Human mind is one of the greatest computers known to mankind and has one ability that no robot even with A.I will ever have, and that is Emotion. To be able to think,deduce,look at things logically and use understanding and compassion is one thing a robot will never be able to do. As to automated plants,humans are needed in order to program the machines so they can do what they do. Men and women will always need to work no matter what happens in the future.
As for Europe yes we have got high speed trains, so does Japan. Im not sure if you are even close to high speed trains like the Japanese and Europeans. And believe it or not we do have nuclear power stations and Coal fired power stations as well as Gas fired power stations. We even use natural gas to heat homes and cook and heat hot water. We do have a few wind turbines, I have even got one right off the beach in the town that I life in, only problem is, its only running at 55% capacity, not all the turbines rotate all of the time.

When I look at Japan I see a country with lower CO2 emissions, alot greener than say China and America.And Europe is slowly going greener, even my local council encourages me to recycle as much as possible, and i do try my best.

If we could now jump into the future by say 25 years I reckon that Japan will have a very good economic record and will be doing well. Europe may be ok. But unless major changes are made in America in the next ten years, I could see America in full economic decline and collapse in 25 years time.

Read on the news? I don't watch or read main streem. I made generlization like this because i don't read or hear anything from Japan as far as biotechnologies. Right now, IBM is making an adom that can store data. How amazing is that? Scientists over here are also working heavly in nano tubes and fibers. Talking about being 100x lighter,stronger, cheaper then steel! :eek:

Hang on one second please, I dont think all of what you have said is totally correct.
First off there is a very old saying that is very true - Dont believe everything that you read, not everything is as good as it looks.
Let's take definite stock of this. You need to seriously apply this statement to everything you say after it.

As for Japan, I see a country that is way in advance of America and europe in terms of technology.
The tech is superficial. There is demand for it. The Japanese refine tech, but they don't innovate. Robotics is advancing faster in Korea than in Japan, for example. Just because 10-year-old kids have phones that double as pulse-lasers and time machines doesn't mean that they are cutting edge, it just means their parents are willing to pay 100,000,000 yen to play keep-up-with-the-joneses.

When I look at Japan I see a country with lower CO2 emissions, alot greener than say China and America.And Europe is slowly going greener, even my local council encourages me to recycle as much as possible, and i do try my best.

Hold on there, Tex. I need to find the article so I can link it to you, so it won't be today, but I'll try to find it. But I've learned that the U.S., which was once responsible (circa 1990) for over 50% of the world's pollution, has fallen back to about 33%, being outstripped by Japan, China, Russia, and the European Union. In addition, the rate of pollution increase has almost slowed to a halt in the U.S., and we have tougher standards and harsher fines for factories and higher emissions standards for cars than any other country. Indeed, we are reaching the technological limit for emissions regulation, because it is becoming physically impossible to further limit emission levels in vehicles without radically changing the paradigm itself. Furthermore, the European Union, China, Japan, and Russia, are all increasing their rates of pollution exponentially. The newest factories in the U.S. now produce less trash than most homes.

We are slowly converting, but it is taking time. Even though we didn't sign the Kyoto accords, that's because we already meet some of those standards. Many other countries have fallen flat on their faces as incapable of even approaching the standards that the green summits have proven inept at enforcing.

But unless major changes are made in America in the next ten years, I could see America in full economic decline and collapse in 25 years time.
Here I agree with you, but it has nothing to do with technology or pollution/emissions standards. It has to do with economics as a whole, the Federal Reserve, China dumping the dollar they've been investing in, and other drastic mistakes that American politicians have been making since the 1980s. It is going to be due to credit that the United States hits a major recession. Not some tech gap.

The absolute height of technology, computer advancement and space exploration is all linked to *drum roll*... the American Military.

No one dumps more money into A.I., human/computer integration and general 'weird science' than the United States military. My personal belief is that they possess answers to questions, weapons technologies, bio-technologies and various other black ops goodies that would probably cause mass hysteria if release into the mainstream.

I've read articles from individuals who claim to be intimately linked to black ops (your internet based garden-variety weapons techies, ex-military guys and information guerrillas) who claim special forces already use laser and energy-based weapons covertly. Whether thats actually true or not I don't know. I'm just speculating and getting a bit fantastical there.

To get more serious, as someone correctly pointed out, nothing can replace the human brain because of intangibles like emotion, intuition, consciousness, etc. Or can it? That opens a philosophical discussion on what the true nature of those things actually is. If human love is simply a pattern of neurons firing that are manifested in certain actions and thought processes, whats stopping a really powerful computer from developing a similar pattern of thought? Who can truly say whether a computer cannot love? It's like that scene in the Matrix when Neo is talking to the Indian chap in the train station.

Another example would be a computer's ability to become sentient, self-aware. What is consciousness? I mean animals are aware but they are not truly self-aware. They do not view themselves outside of themselves.. if that makes sense. But we do. Can computers?

For example a more 'primitive' animal like a rat.. it knows its alive, it feels pain, and it wants cheese. We can manipulate it through classical psychological conditioning (don't step on the silver square, go around it to get the cheese, the silver square goes BZZZ and hurts). But thats about it, it cannot use tools, it cannot think dimensionally, it cannot grasp the idea of something being other than what it is as it sits in front of them.

Now take a chimp, a chimp has the consciousness and brain power to look at a stick not just as a latent part of the environment, but as a tool. It picks the stick up and uses it to fish for termites and honey. It uses the rock to break open nuts. And it thusly understands the world surrounding it more intimately. Raw brain power (and in my opinion a host of other things like perhaps the accidental intake of psychotropic plants or something) catapulted our ancestors into a new state of consciousness at some point and now here we are, complete with language and highly developed social interaction.

At what point does a computer begin to possess the same power and suddenly become self aware, and whats different from the way we became self aware?

I think a synthesis will eventually take place. We will still be humans, and we'll still have emotion, but we'll be plugged in somehow. Instead of having to type something into a keyboard, we'll simply access a repository of centralized information similar to the internet and look for things at the speed of thought. For example, those of you learning language, imagine if you had a dictionary at your disposal in your head, that you could access on a whim whenever you forgot a piece of vocabulary. Learning would happen at an exponential rate.

I also think genetics will eventually play a role. Once scientists have unlocked the prodigy gene that results in 9 year old kids graduating from college, we'll all be super geniuses and this will result in a worldwide revolution that will put us on par with.. well whoever eles is out there in the universe watching. That's if we dont blow ourselves up first.

I also think genetics will eventually play a role. Once scientists have unlocked the prodigy gene that results in 9 year old kids graduating from college, we'll all be super geniuses

Let's hope this never happens. Most of those kids have meltdowns before they reach their twenties.

Let's hope this never happens. Most of those kids have meltdowns before they reach their twenties.
Ever hear about that kid who killed himself in the '70s, and they blamed it on Dungeons & Dragons? Yeah. Proof 15-year-old introverts raised in a conservative Christian household have no business going to college where sex and drugs are easy to get.

bakaKanajin said:
To get more serious, as someone correctly pointed out, nothing can replace the human brain because of intangibles like emotion, intuition, consciousness, etc. Or can it? That opens a philosophical discussion on what the true nature of those things actually is.
Ghost in the Shell.

Anyway, positronics has long been theorized as making near-human AI possible.

Deep Blue can be defeated by a chessmaster because humans can change plans and adapt midstream, which completely f---s with an A.I. But positronics might open up new avenues....

We will still be humans, and we'll still have emotion, but we'll be plugged in somehow. Instead of having to type something into a keyboard, we'll simply access a repository of centralized information similar to the internet and look for things at the speed of thought.
REED MOAR WILLIAM GIBSON. Totally jives with this stuff. Especially Neuromancer.

However, I prefer human computers, like Mentat Masters of Assassins, like Piter de Vries.

Neuromancer, I started that book but never finished it, I'll have to take another look at it. I read another book that I forget the name of, but it had a similar mind-science theme. Loosely, it discussed the theory of human sight/observation and its ability to collapse other dimensional potentials into realities, and how this threatened inter-dimensional beings who existed across more than one plane, so a giant shield was built around Earth one day by these beings to prevent us from looking at anything.

Then using nanotechnology someone develops the ability to actually manipulate these alternate realities and realize them, basically controlling physical reality, and the world goes tits up. Good book! lol

those robots in japan , they will use them soon as weathercasters on tv. I'm really eager to know what will happen if they have a malfunctioning problem during the ether: this is azu mashika and im your weathe--rrrrrrrr (bzzz) (*explode*) :p

Neuromancer is Awesome! Idoru, Jonny Neumonic.. William Gibson Rules! So does Isaac Assimov! I Robot and the rest of the robots and his Foundation Series!

Anime!!! --> Ghost in the Shell <-- THE BEST IN THE hmmm... EAST!
(normally I say West.. hehe)

Check out Youtube -- Ghost in the Shell Episode 15 (Part 2) English Dub
and 2nd Gig Episode 15 Part 2/3

Anyone here actually create robots and electronic circuits like me?

Back
Top Bottom