What's new

A few short questions about specific japanese sentences

hydeMadeMeGay

Kouhai
2 Mar 2015
Hello everyone. I have a few questions about japanese that, by themselves, weren't worth writing a post but accumulated over time. They are very silly so i'm sorry if you thought otherwise.

1) What's the verb (and possible/probable particles involved) for calling someone by a specific name? I was thinking about a sentence where someone says that their real name is X but people called him Y instead (for example an artistic name). I only know 呼ぶ but I don't know if it serves the same purpose.

2) Is it possible to use double が in a sentence? If so, is this sentence correct?

" 写真を撮るのが興味がないんです"

3) Even tho I kinda get the difference in meaning I sometimes fail when choosing the appropriate verb between 電話する and 電話をかける. Is there any proper advice?

4) How do I recognize when it is better to use a noun as the object of a するverb (as in をする) and when it is not.

1)
Yes, 呼ぶ is appropriate.

2)
There is no problem with double が.
e.g.
彼女が興味があるのはファッションだ。

However, your example is wrong since 写真を撮るの is not the subject who is not interested in it. に should be used instead of the first が.
写真を撮ることに興味がないんです。
(撮るの is acceptable, but こと is preferred here since のに has another usage as "although/nevertheless".)

3)
電話(を)する focuses on the action "talking to/with someone via phone", on the other hand, 電話をかける is more on the action "to make a phone call". For instance, 彼女に電話しておいて actually means 彼女に電話して伝えておいて "Call her and tell that", and 電話をかけておいて is hardly used here.

4)
When the noun is modified by a phrase or clause, you always need to use を.
e.g.
○店に電話をした。
○店に電話した。
○店に苦情の電話をした。
×店に苦情の電話した。
○妻に遅くなるという電話をした。
×妻に遅くなるという電話した。
○妻に遅くなると電話をした。
○妻に遅くなると電話した。
(妻に遅くなると doesn't modify 電話 in the last two examples.)

Thanks a lot! One more thing. Is it common/natural to say thank you for refraining from doing X thing? If so, do you use ことに and 遠慮する?

Indirect expressions (i.e., not mentioning directly "for your not doing something") ご配慮いただきありがとうございます, 気を使っていただいてありがとうございます or お気遣い感謝いたします would be more commonly used for that situation.

Back
Top Bottom