What's new

~な手な

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
僕にとって最上な手なだけだ。
This is another sentence from a manga. It is translated as: "This is just the best option I have."

I am really confused about the use of 手な here. From what I know, な is added before だけ only when an adjectival noun precedes it. But in the dictionary it clearly says that 手 is a noun.

If な wouldn't be there then I would tranlate 手 as "method" so the sentence would be: "To me, it's just the best method."

It doesn't seem to be something that I will encounter again anytime soon, but it really frustrates me.

~な can be used to connect a noun with some specific nouns (e.g., だけ, わけ) as ~という or ~である in colloqual usage.

僕にとって最上な手なだけだ。(= 最上な手というだけだ。)
彼は落第したらしい。道理でまだ学生なわけだ。(= 学生であるわけだ)

僕にとって最上な手なだけだ。
This is another sentence from a manga. It is translated as: "This is just the best option I have."

I am really confused about the use of 手な here. From what I know, な is added before だけ only when an adjectival noun precedes it. But in the dictionary it clearly says that 手 is a noun.

If な wouldn't be there then I would tranlate 手 as "method" so the sentence would be: "To me, it's just the best method."

It doesn't seem to be something that I will encounter again anytime soon, but it really frustrates me.
So the terminology is quite inconsistent on these but ニュースな英語 for example would ニュースな be considered an adjectival noun ? :?:

It's quite the same that 大人 is not a na-adjective even if 大人な子供 can be used in a colloquial expression.

Back
Top Bottom