What's new

~た、~ている modifying nouns ・ 町 and 街

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

1) アニメのキャラクターの服や、メイドの服などが売られています。このような衣装を着ている人は、秋葉原の通りやアニメのイベントで見ることができます。
写真解説|見てみよう|第21課 (middle column, 3rd row from the bottom)
メイドのコスチュームです。このような衣装を着た店員が接客をしてくれる「メイド喫茶」も、秋葉原にたくさんあります。
(next image)

I assume that 衣装を着た is this ~た " 動作・作用の結果が存続している意を表す。…ている。…てある。「割れガラス窓から風が吹き込む」" (た[助動]の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書), but is there no difference at all between ~ている and ~た when used like this?

2) When searching, most people say that there is a difference between 街(まち)and 町(まち) but in Erin's challenge it seems like these are interchangeable. For example in the video's subtitles they use one kanji, and then in the text explanation they use the other one for the exact same phrase.
The dictionary also doesn't make a difference between those two. So would I be better off not bothering with this?

1)
Yes, I think they are interchangeable in those cases.

2)
Customarily, 街 is hardly used for a rural town.

Thanks!

I have one more question about this #4 ~た.
乾いた布 is not equivalent to 乾いている布, right? As far as I understand it, 乾いている布 should mean that the cloth was wet, then it dried at some point and is now dry. While 乾いた布 simply means "dry cloth" regardless of whether it was dry from the beginning or not.
Similarly for 太っている and 太った. Then, does that mean that 太ったもの and 太いもの have the same meaning?

Thanks!

I have one more question about this #4 ~た.
乾いた布 is not equivalent to 乾いている布, right? As far as I understand it, 乾いている布 should mean that the cloth was wet, then it dried at some point and is now dry. While 乾いた布 simply means "dry cloth" regardless of whether it was dry from the beginning or not.
Similarly for 太っている and 太った. Then, does that mean that 太ったもの and 太いもの have the same meaning?
Well, I don't think so. 乾いている布 just refers to that the present state is "dry" whether it was wet or not.
太った and 太い are different. The former one can't be used for the things whose thickness never changes, e.g. 太いロープ.

I know this was already answered, but I found the explanation (町 vs. 街) at the following site interesting and helpful
http://知っ得袋.biz/302.html
Thank you! I've also found that before. It presents some good guidelines, but it doesn't seem to fit for all cases. I'll post the sentences with まち from Erin...maybe I am just not understanding the intent behind the sentences.

1) 秋葉原:
a) この男性は、「ざったな趣味がいろいろあるので、いい町ですね」と言っています。
b) 最近、秋葉原はIT産業の町にもなっています。
c) この男性は「時代とともにすごくへんぼうしてきて、ひじょうにかのうせいをひめた町だと思います」と言っています。
d) アニメやゲーム、コンピューター、いろいろ集まっているので、おもしろい町です。
I don't have a problem with these ones. 町 has the exact meaning from that link and more importantly, they are consistent with it.

2)京都:
a) バスガイドさんです。京都の街や、これから行く観光名所について、いろいろ説明したり、案内したりしてくれます。(about the tour guide)
b) 京都はまさに歴史的な街、という感想でした。(talking about the impressions of the students after the trip to 京都)
I guess a) uses 街 because the guide will show them "parts" of 京都, but why is it used for b)?

3) 原宿:
a) 原宿は、若者に人気がある街です。
b) 原宿では、クレープを店の外で食べたり、街を歩きながら食べたりします。
c) 原宿は、見て歩くだけでも、とても楽しい町です。
Why do they use different kanji for a) and c)?

I posted only the sentences from the "text explanation". These seem to be quite consistent. In the video's subtitles they often switch the kanji around.

Well, I don't think so. 乾いている布 just refers to that the present state is "dry" whether it was wet or not.
太った and 太い are different. The former one can't be used for the things whose thickness never changes, e.g. 太いロープ.
Ahh, I see. I was misunderstanding ~ている yet again. Thank you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom