What's new

質問があります。

OoTmaster

先輩
23 Oct 2012
Hi guys,
Quick question here only JLPT level 5 here so not going to try and explain in Japanese. I recently went to Ohio and saw a sign there that had English and a few other languages welcoming people to Ohio. The question I have is that I am pretty sure that the sign had "オハイオによこぞ全ての心中地。" or " "オハイオによこぞ全ての中心地。"as the Japanese for welcome to Ohio the center of everything. Which I thought was accurate. I think I got the order wrong though, but I'm not sure. 心中地 or 中心地 I'm not sure on the difference of the order of these 3 particular Kanji. Can someone give me an explanation or some help please?

The correct translation is 世界の中心(地)、オハイオへようこそ.
心中 and 中心 are both compound words. It's not the order of the three kanji, but the order of the two words. 心中 can't mean "center", by the way. It's しんちゅう "in one's mind" or しんじゅう "lovers' suicide".

The correct translation is 世界の中心(地)、オハイオへようこそ.
心中 and 中心 are both compound words. It's not the order of the three kanji, but the order of the two words. 心中 can't mean "center", by the way. It's しんちゅう "in one's mind" or しんじゅう "lovers' suicide".

Ask any truck driver who has ever driven through Ohio how he feels about the prospect of doing it again. The answer will be "suicidal".

I did take the JLPT about a day after seeing this sign. I'm hoping that Ohio is stating they're a "Center" of everything rather than a great place for a lovers suicide.

Troitoribe: We're rather conceited in the United States, they may have meant to imply they were the center of everything conceivable rather than just the world. Also it's the American mid-west, if the translation is off I wouldn't be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom