What's new

考え通り?

MamaMiki

後輩
20 Dec 2014
Clarification!「考え通り」 is like "as (I) thought" in English, or no?

At least, that's my interpretation based on its usage. There's 考え (to think about) and 通り (as, like "as described here" ここに記載の通り)

Thoughts?

You're probably right, but n general when asking questions about a specific thing that you saw in a specific place it is best to include some surrounding context rather than to slice it out with a scalpel.

Japanese is a language where questions about it are so frequently answered with "it depends...what's the context?" that including plenty to begin with is a courtesy to others and also prevents threads turning bro a game of twenty questions.

Clarification!「考え通り」 is like "as (I) thought" in English, or no?

At least, that's my interpretation based on its usage. There's 考え (to think about) and 通り (as, like "as described here" ここに記載の通り)

Thoughts?
FYI, when 通り is directly attached to a noun or the -masu stem of a verb, the reading is どおり, whereas it's read とおり for "noun の通り" or "modifying clause/phrase + 通り".
e.g.
記載通り:きさいどおり
考え通り:かんがえどおり

記載の通り:きさいのとおり
あなたが考えた通り:あなたがかんがえたとおり

You're probably right, but n general when asking questions about a specific thing that you saw in a specific place it is best to include some surrounding context rather than to slice it out with a scalpel.

Japanese is a language where questions about it are so frequently answered with "it depends...what's the context?" that including plenty to begin with is a courtesy to others and also prevents threads turning bro a game of twenty questions.

Except I wasn't asking about a specific situation. o.o' More that it's come up several times while I'm reading and I wanted to make sure that all this time I had been correctly guessing it meant "as (I) thought". Should I seek out some example sentences from Google? I'd hate to make all of you guys work harder than you have to on a simple question. ^^;

FYI, when 通り is directly attached to a noun or the -masu stem of a verb, the reading is どおり, whereas it's read とおり for "noun の通り" or "modifying clause/phrase + 通り".
e.g.
記載通り:きさいどおり
考え通り:かんがえどおり

記載の通り:きさいのとおり
あなたが考えた通り:あなたがかんがえたとおり

Thank you so much for the information! I will use it well! ^3^

Back in Japan for about 3 weeks now and realised I really need to brush up my Japanese. I hope its not considered hijacking but I was wondering whether 考えた通り can be used interchangeably with 考え通り "in general".

Back in Japan for about 3 weeks now and realised I really need to brush up my Japanese. I hope its not considered hijacking but I was wondering whether 考えた通り can be used interchangeably with 考え通り "in general".

I did a quick Google search of both phrases and while I myself haven't seen 考えた通り, it's apparently used more often than 考え通り.

I also found it here.

When referring to thoughts in future, 考える通り would be more appropriate since 考えた通り can be misinterpreted as already-decided thoughts in the past.
e.g.
これから先は、自分たちの考える通りにやりなさい。

When referring to thoughts in future, 考える通り would be more appropriate since 考えた通り can be misinterpreted as already-decided thoughts in the past.
e.g.
これから先は、自分たちの考える通りにやりなさい。

Hmm..

これから先は、自分たちの考える通りにやりなさい will have the same meaning and nuance as これから先は、自分たちの考え通りにやりなさない then?

Yes. In other words, 考え通り is more general and can be replaced with both 考えた通り and 考える通り.

Back
Top Bottom