What's new

日本とあまり時間が変わらない

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
What does the above mean? I'm not sure, "time doesn't change much with Japan"? How does it fit into the following sentence?

専門家は「合宿ができないと、日本とあまり時間が変わらない国の選手のほうがいい成績を出しやすくなると思います。

時間 means "time zone" there.

"To change" is not the only one meaning of 変わる.

かわる 変わる
3〈違う〉be different 《from》; 【形式ばった表現】 differ 《from》
これは先ほど見たのとは変わっている.
This is different from the one I saw a little while ago.

かわる【変わる】
3〔普通と違う〕be different ((from));differ ⇒かわった(変わった)
彼女の説明は彼のとちっとも変わらなかった
Her explanation was no different from his./There was no difference between her explanation and his.

所変われば品変わる
Different people have different customs.

変わる
3. to be different; to be uncommon; to be unusual

And that whole phrase 日本とあまり時間が変わらない is modifying the words that follow it.

Could you please check my translation below and see if I understand the excerpt correctly?
Experts say, "If they can't camp together, the athletes from the countries whose time zones that are not so much different from Japan's will easily get better results.

Do you realize that 合宿 doesn't just mean "training camp" in that context?

The nuance of いい成績を出しやすくなる is more likely closer to "to tend to get better results".

Do you realize that 合宿 doesn't just mean "training camp" in that context?
I found the following in a dictionary: lodging together, training camp, boarding house.
Could it mean "training together" in the context?

You got the meaning of the word 合宿 correctly, but it's not what I wanted to say.
Hint: What is the theme/topic of the article? What does 合宿 refer to in the article?
Hint2: That's exactly why "time zone" concerns it.

Hint: What is the theme/topic of the article? What does 合宿 refer to in the article?
Hint2: That's exactly why "time zone" concerns it.
東京オリンピックなど 合宿や交流を中止した市や町は54
The above was the topic. I still don't quite get what you tried to say.
I could imagine athletes from countries of time-zones different from Japan's could be disadvantaged without training in Japan prior to the competition.

That's exactly what I meant, "training camp in Japan prior to the competition". Sorry if you already realized it.

Back
Top Bottom