What's new

手抜いたりしない / のに / 悪い方に働く / 受けました

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. それに、その人に遠慮して仕事、手抜いたりしない方が いいよ。だって、そんなことしたら、ほら、さっちゃん の方が損するじゃない。

I get: "Also, you should be tactful towards this person, and you shouldn't be negligent in your work. Because, if you do that sort of thing [i.e. be negligent], you [さっちゃん] will be the one losing out."

Is this right? Does 仕事、手抜いたりしない mean 仕事を手抜いたりしない? I am not confident I have parsed this part correctly.

2. それを建てるのに何年もかかった。

Translation given: "It took many years to build it."

In this case, does のに have any sense of "although"? (i.e. "Although we/someone (eventually) built it, it took many years.")

Or does の simply nominalise それを建てる, with に being the appropriate particle to link this to the second part of the sentence?

3. 岡さんが上司に相談したことが分かって、結果的には上 岡さんにとって悪い方に働くから。

My translation: "Because if it becomes known that 上岡さん has spoken to her boss, then it would work out badly for her".

Is this OK, especially my interpretation of 悪い方に働く?

4. The speaker is talking about trying to find a job in publishing and says 出版社を片っ端から受けました。

What does 受けました mean here?

1)
その人に遠慮して仕事、手抜いたりしない方がいいよ
You shouldn't be negligent in your work to feel constraint with this person.

仕事で手を抜いたりしない

2)
The latter

3)
Yes.

4)
入社試験を受ける
to take employment exam (of publishing companies)

Thank you.

1. I understand from your reply that 仕事、手抜いたりしない方が いい = 仕事で手を抜いたりしない方が いい = you shouldn't be negligent in your work.

However, I don't understand the connection with その人に遠慮して.

Can you think of any other way to say this in English?

4. So, does 片っ端から mean that this person took exams at all sorts of different publishing companies?

1)
How about "in order to avoid being seen as self‐assertive/pushy by that person"?

4)
Yes, that's right.

1. Perhaps the problem here is that I do not understand the basic structure of this phrase, independent of how 遠慮して is best translated . For example:

Is it saying that the person shouldn't do 手を抜く at work, but should do その人に遠慮する?

Is it saying that the person shouldn't do 手を抜く at work, and also shouldn't do その人に遠慮する?

Is it saying that the person shouldn't do 手を抜く at work, and this will enable them to do その人に遠慮する?

Or something else?

It is the second one - it is saying that the person shouldn't do (1) その人に遠慮する and (2) 手をぬく(as the consequence of (1)).

Thanks undrentide, so is その人に遠慮する a bad/undesirable thing in this situation? The dictionary says that 遠慮 means "diffidence; restraint; reserve; discretion; tact; thoughtfulness". I'd guess from this that その人に遠慮する would, if anything, be a good/desirable thing in this workplace scenario. I think this is what is confusing me so much...

"You shouldn't 仕事で手を抜く" is the core of the speaker's opinion. その人に遠慮して explains the cause/motive of 手を抜く. Even if 遠慮 is a good thing, it's bad you 手を抜く as the result of 遠慮. You shouldn't do that.

Back
Top Bottom