What's new

存在となれる

Andromedashun

先輩
3 Jan 2012
シュートではチームー選手ではなくてもチームのためには欠くことのできない存在となれるでしょう。
This is an article about the soccer of kids in elementary school.
I can't understand what this sentence means.
''By shot, even there is no team mate for the whole team you can't lose the ball'' (?)

There must be a typo/typos in シュートではチームー選手ではなくても.

Sorry it is my mistake.
そうすれば, シュートではチームーの選手ではなくてもチームのためには欠くことのできない存在となれるでしょう。

チーム(kanji "ichi") の選手, not チームー (long vowel mark) の選手

You need to know who the subject is from the context (probably you, a member or like that).

Totally wrong.
シュート is not the subject. Notice that it's シュートは, not シュートは. I already told you the subject.
チーム一の選手 the best player in the team
欠くことのできない: indispensable

I don't really get it.
''If that's the case, even if the one to shoot isn't the best player, such player can become the indispensable existence for the team.''

ではなくても is a negative conditional; even if not.
そうすれば means "if you/they do that". Your translation is for そうなら.

シュートでは limits the category that the player is No.1 to シュート, if you don't get the function of で yet.

そうすれば、 シュートではチームーの選手ではなくてもチームのためには欠くことのできない存在となれるでしょう。

I think the ではなくても part plays a big role in defining the condition of this statement.
By that conditional alone, this indicates 'even if not the best player' regarding 'Shoot' would also mean 'in that situation, even if Shoot is not the best team player for the team, that person's existence on the team is indispensable.'

To me, this tells me, due to the article being mentioned, the last part indicates 'it seems indispensable existence becomes' to be more Japanese grammar literal.
Toritoribe mentioned では is a rough comparison from the player to Shoot.

Putting this into an English perspective:
In that situation, even if Shoot is not the best team player on the team, it seems they become indispensable.

The major problem becomes となれる.
This indicates the preceding phrase 'becomes seemingly indispensable.'

If I have this right:
"If they do that, even if Shoot is not the best player for the team's advantage, I think it amounts to becoming indispensable."

I'm not sure if I got this right, but I did spend a lot of time thinking about the grammar and functions.

The idea is that even if X isn't Y, X can still be Z.

I don't think "Shoot" is the name of a person here.

I also think the OP should spend a lot more time reading things closer to his level to build up his skills. Maybe some more grammar study would help.

Last edited:
The idea is that even if X isn't Y, X can still be Z.

I don't think "Shoot" is the name of a person here.

I also think the OP should spend a lot more time reading things closer to his level to build up his skills. Maybe some more grammar study would help.

During my translation, I often considered "Shoot" to not be a name but either a verb or action.
I wasn't sure what this was all entirely about due to the limitations, but I think you are right on that.

My suggestion for the OP is to start with the very basics like Tae Kim's guide to Japanese Grammar.

I wasn't sure what this was all entirely about due to the limitations
The OP already gave an important information about the context in his initial post.
This is an article about the soccer of kids in elementary school.

My suggestion for the OP is to start with the very basics like Tae Kim's guide to Japanese Grammar.
Judging from his posts so far, I believe he doesn't need to go back to a site for beginners anymore.

By not being entirely sure, I meant if it was shoot as in a person or an action.

The subject of Soccer was obvious to me, it's just the 'shoot' that confused me.

It's still the problem of grammar also here, after all. You seem to underestimate or neglect the existence of the particle で. Your translation is for そうすれば、 シュートチーム一の選手ではなくてもチームのためには欠くことのできない存在となれるでしょう。. シュート can't be a person's name, and can't be the subject, either, because of the particle で. God is in the details.

Back
Top Bottom