What's new

大いに役立つという点で

keannu2

後輩
4 Aug 2019
1. Does this mean "in the respect of becoming a big help"?
大いに役立つという点で
2. How do you pronounce this? 'りょうばつるぎ' or 'りょうばけん'?
両刃の剣

私教育は生徒に負担を与え、父兄に経済的負担を与えるかもしれないが、韓国と韓国人が発展するには大いに役立つという点で '両刃の剣'だ。

1. Well, we don't really say it this way in English, but it loosely translates as "considering its (big, great) usefulness/utility in..."
2. In this idiom its つるぎ

私教育は生徒に負担を与え、父兄に経済的負担を与えるかもしれないが、韓国と韓国人が発展するには大いに役立つという点で '両刃の剣'

Even though private tutoring puts a burden on the students, as well as a financial burden on the parents, it is beneficial for the development of Korea and of Korean students, so it appears to be a double-edged sword.

私教育は生徒に負担を与え、父兄に経済的負担を与えるかもしれないが、韓国と韓国人が発展するには大いに役立つという点で '両刃の剣'

Even though private tutoring puts a burden on the students, as well as a financial burden on the parents, it is beneficial for the development of Korea and of Korean students, so it appears to be a double-edged sword.

You seemed to have said the underlined Japanese part is a little bit awkward. Is it correct? I needed rephrasing it, not the English translation.

Sorry, I thought you were asking how to translate into English. I was saying your phrase "in the respect of becoming a big help" was unnatural. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Sorry, I thought you were asking how to translate into English. I was saying your phrase "in the respect of becoming a big help" was unnatural. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Please let me know if this sentence sound so awkward, otherwise, I would use it as it is..

I think you will want a native person's input on this.
For me, I think I would phrase it thusly
塾やその他の私教育は生徒さんに負担を与える上に、父兄にも経済的な負担を与えます。一方、韓国人の発展の面から見て、私教育は大いに役に立ちます(大きな役割を果たしています)ので、まさに諸刃の剣です。

For your information, 父兄 is rarely used in these days because of political correctness. 保護者 is more common.
Also, you can also use 負担を強いる for "to put a burden on~".

I think you will want a native person's input on this.
For me, I think I would phrase it thusly
塾やその他の私教育は生徒さんに負担を与える上に、父兄にも経済的な負担を与えます。一方、韓国人の発展の面から見て、私教育は大いに役に立ちます(大きな役割を果たしています)ので、まさに諸刃の剣です。
Thanks for your rephrasing.
For "double-edged sword", which do you use more? If it is 2, how do you pronounce it?
Is it meaning-pronunciation or letter-pronunciation? 剣 - Is it "つるぎ" or "gen"?

1.両刃の剣
2.諸刃の剣

1 and 2 are both acceptable.
In both cases, tsurugi is the proper reading. (But if you made a mistake and used "ken", it would still be understood).

2. Moroha no tsurugi.

Back
Top Bottom