What's new

大いに役立つという点で

keannu2

Kouhai
Reaction score
1. Does this mean "in the respect of becoming a big help"?
大いに役立つという点で
2. How do you pronounce this? 'りょうばつるぎ' or 'りょうばけん'?
両刃の剣

私教育は生徒に負担を与え、父兄に経済的負担を与えるかもしれないが、韓国と韓国人が発展するには大いに役立つという点で ‘両刃の剣’だ。

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
1. Well, we don't really say it this way in English, but it loosely translates as "considering its (big, great) usefulness/utility in..."
2. In this idiom its つるぎ

keannu2

Kouhai
Reaction score
1. Well, we don't really say it this way in English, but it loosely translates as "considering its (big, great) usefulness/utility in..."
2. In this idiom its つるぎ
Then how can you rephrase 1?

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
私教育は生徒に負担を与え、父兄に経済的負担を与えるかもしれないが、韓国と韓国人が発展するには大いに役立つという点で ‘両刃の剣’

Even though private tutoring puts a burden on the students, as well as a financial burden on the parents, it is beneficial for the development of Korea and of Korean students, so it appears to be a double-edged sword.

keannu2

Kouhai
Reaction score
私教育は生徒に負担を与え、父兄に経済的負担を与えるかもしれないが、韓国と韓国人が発展するには大いに役立つという点で ‘両刃の剣’

Even though private tutoring puts a burden on the students, as well as a financial burden on the parents, it is beneficial for the development of Korea and of Korean students, so it appears to be a double-edged sword.
You seemed to have said the underlined Japanese part is a little bit awkward. Is it correct? I needed rephrasing it, not the English translation.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were asking how to translate into English. I was saying your phrase "in the respect of becoming a big help" was unnatural. Sorry if I misunderstood.

keannu2

Kouhai
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were asking how to translate into English. I was saying your phrase "in the respect of becoming a big help" was unnatural. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Please let me know if this sentence sound so awkward, otherwise, I would use it as it is..

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
I think you will want a native person's input on this.
For me, I think I would phrase it thusly
塾やその他の私教育は生徒さんに負担を与える上に、父兄にも経済的な負担を与えます。一方、韓国人の発展の面から見て、私教育は大いに役に立ちます(大きな役割を果たしています)ので、まさに諸刃の剣です。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
For your information, 父兄 is rarely used in these days because of political correctness. 保護者 is more common.
Also, you can also use 負担を強いる for "to put a burden on~".

keannu2

Kouhai
Reaction score
I think you will want a native person's input on this.
For me, I think I would phrase it thusly
塾やその他の私教育は生徒さんに負担を与える上に、父兄にも経済的な負担を与えます。一方、韓国人の発展の面から見て、私教育は大いに役に立ちます(大きな役割を果たしています)ので、まさに諸刃の剣です。
Thanks for your rephrasing.
For "double-edged sword", which do you use more? If it is 2, how do you pronounce it?
Is it meaning-pronunciation or letter-pronunciation? 剣 - Is it "つるぎ" or "gen"?

1.両刃の剣
2.諸刃の剣

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
1 and 2 are both acceptable.
In both cases, tsurugi is the proper reading. (But if you made a mistake and used "ken", it would still be understood).

2. Moroha no tsurugi.