What's new

占められてはいる/拠点を置いている

4 Apr 2014
I've stumbled across an article at Japanese wikipedia and have some doubts. In this sentence: "県面積の三分の二が森林で占められているものの、産業としては製造業が大変盛んで、多くの企業が拠点置いている"
1) what's that は supposed to be?
2) i always thought it was 拠点に置く not 拠点を置く

Since wikipedia articles tend to be full of grammar (and factual) mistakes, i assume it should be more like: "県面積の三分の二が森林で占められているものの、産業としては製造業が大変盛んで、多くの企業が拠点置いている"

1)
contrastive marker
Alright, so i found lots of examples of that て/でははいるものの which seems to mean "though/notwithstanding/despite". Could you please direct me to an explanation about that structure? I'm still faltering a bit about て/では combinations other than ~てはいけません/なりません/だめ

2)
を is correct.
Is it interchangeable with 拠点に置く?

Last edited:
1)
Not てはは but ては.
占められている: simple -te iru form
占められてはいる: connoting "is occupied by forest but there is other thing/merit than being occupied"

This は can be added into (probably) all "-te form + auxiliary verb" structures (e.g. 置いてはある, 開けてはおく, 見てはいく, 買ってはくる, etc. etc.), and an adversative conjunction such like が or けど often follows it.

2)
No. 拠点 is the object, and the location that is indicated by に is ヨンショーピング県; 多くの企業がヨンショーピング県に拠点を置いている.

1)
Not では but ては.
占められている: simple -te iru form
占められてはいる: connoting "is occupied by forest but there is other thing/merit than being occupied"
By て/で i meant any verb in it's 連用形+て/で form. It could as well be 沈んはいる
1)
No. 拠点 is the object, and the location that is indicated by に is ヨンショーピング県; 多くの企業がヨンショーピング県に拠点を置いている.
How about 兵庫県を拠点に置くプロのバスケットボールチームが誕生しました? Both 拠点をおく and 拠点に置く seem to mean "to be based in" to me. Is the difference merely structural? Would 多くの企業がヨンショーピング県を拠点に置いている mean the same thing?

I had revised my post before you replied. Read again.
It's a misuse of the particles in that sentence, originally coming from confusing 拠点を置く and 拠点にする/据える.
a search result in a corpus
に拠点を置: 22
を拠点に置: 0
を拠点にし: 35

I had revised my post before you replied. Read again.
With those examples of other verbs you provided, this contrastive は is clear as crystal to me now. Thank you.

It's a misuse of the particles in that sentence, originally coming from confusing 拠点を置く and 拠点にする/据える.
Thanks for clearing this out. I'll try not to carry on that confusion ;) どこかに拠点を置く sounds more logical indeed.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what is the contrastive marker? I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

The is used as a contrastive marker. It is no different from the standard particle は that identifies the topic of the sentence. However in this case it identifies a topic in order to contrast it with another topic.

You could say, "The prefecture has a lot of forests, but it also has a lot of factories" to convey the same idea, but it somehow seems too reductive. Better to express it as;

"Although two thirds of the prefecture is covered by forests, it is in fact home to a large number of industrial manufacturers...."

It is just a slightly more nuanced way of contrasting two ideas.

Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom