20 Feb 2010
Can someone please explain the meaning of Verb + としている

例) 政府は、ゴミの分別を推進するとしている。

Is it same as 推進しようとしている?

Thank you for your help:p

しようとしている could mean either
(1) is going to do ~
(2) is trying to do ~
meaning varies depending on the context.

Where did you get 例) 政府は、ゴミの分別を推進するとしている? Was it out of a book or on some site or something? It seems a bit strange to me.

Oops, sorry, I seem to have overlooked the first part of your original question!
~するとしている is totally different from ~しようとしている.

政府は、ゴミの分別を推進するとしている

In this case, ~としている(~とする) means "to decide" "to conclude" "to judge".
I guess the subject of the verb 推進する is also 政府, so the sentence means "The government has decided that they're promoting separating waste/garbage".

If the government is talking about the third party, for example 政府は、各地方自治体がゴミの分別を推進するとしている, then the meaning will become "the government decided that it is each local authority that should promote separating garbage".

Thank you for all of your help! :)

However, the grammar that I had learned for "determine" is "ことにする"

So what would be the difference between these two sentences?

1) 推進するとしている
2) 推進することにしている

Oops, sorry, I seem to have overlooked the first part of your original question!
~するとしている is totally different from ~しようとしている.
政府は、ゴミの分別を推進するとしている
In this case, ~としている(~とする) means "to decide" "to conclude" "to judge".
I guess the subject of the verb 推進する is also 政府, so the sentence means "The government has decided that they're promoting separating waste/garbage".
If the government is talking about the third party, for example 政府は、各地方自治体がゴミの分別を推進するとしてい る, then the meaning will become "the government decided that it is each local authority that should promote separating garbage".

~としている is more close to "to say/announce". The thing was already determined and is announced. Whereas ~ことにしている just means that the plan is determined. It might not be started yet, and might not be announced yet either.

政府は、ゴミの分別を推進するとしている。
The government says that they're promoting garbage separation.

Back
Top Bottom