What's new

占められてはいる/拠点を置いている

Reaction score
I've stumbled across an article at Japanese wikipedia and have some doubts. In this sentence: "県面積の三分の二が森林で占められているものの、産業としては製造業が大変盛んで、多くの企業が拠点置いている"
1) what's that は supposed to be?
2) i always thought it was 拠点に置く not 拠点を置く

Since wikipedia articles tend to be full of grammar (and factual) mistakes, i assume it should be more like: "県面積の三分の二が森林で占められているものの、産業としては製造業が大変盛んで、多くの企業が拠点置いている"

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
contrastive marker
2)
を is correct.

There is no mistake there.

Reaction score
1)
contrastive marker
Alright, so i found lots of examples of that て/でははいるものの which seems to mean "though/notwithstanding/despite". Could you please direct me to an explanation about that structure? I'm still faltering a bit about て/では combinations other than ~てはいけません/なりません/だめ

2)
を is correct.
Is it interchangeable with 拠点に置く?

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
Not てはは but ては.
占められている: simple -te iru form
占められてはいる: connoting "is occupied by forest but there is other thing/merit than being occupied"

This は can be added into (probably) all "-te form + auxiliary verb" structures (e.g. 置いてはある, 開けてはおく, 見てはいく, 買ってはくる, etc. etc.), and an adversative conjunction such like が or けど often follows it.

2)
No. 拠点 is the object, and the location that is indicated by に is ヨンショーピング県; 多くの企業がヨンショーピング県に拠点を置いている.

Reaction score
1)
Not では but ては.
占められている: simple -te iru form
占められてはいる: connoting "is occupied by forest but there is other thing/merit than being occupied"
By て/で i meant any verb in it's 連用形+て/で form. It could as well be 沈んはいる
1)
No. 拠点 is the object, and the location that is indicated by に is ヨンショーピング県; 多くの企業がヨンショーピング県に拠点を置いている.
How about 兵庫県を拠点に置くプロのバスケットボールチームが誕生しました? Both 拠点をおく and 拠点に置く seem to mean "to be based in" to me. Is the difference merely structural? Would 多くの企業がヨンショーピング県を拠点に置いている mean the same thing?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
I had revised my post before you replied. Read again.
It's a misuse of the particles in that sentence, originally coming from confusing 拠点を置く and 拠点にする/据える.
a search result in a corpus
に拠点を置: 22
を拠点に置: 0
を拠点にし: 35

Reaction score
I had revised my post before you replied. Read again.
With those examples of other verbs you provided, this contrastive は is clear as crystal to me now. Thank you.

It's a misuse of the particles in that sentence, originally coming from confusing 拠点を置く and 拠点にする/据える.
Thanks for clearing this out. I'll try not to carry on that confusion ;) どこかに拠点を置く sounds more logical indeed.

Cyath

Kouhai
Reaction score
Could anyone enlighten me as to what is the contrastive marker? I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
The is used as a contrastive marker. It is no different from the standard particle は that identifies the topic of the sentence. However in this case it identifies a topic in order to contrast it with another topic.

You could say, "The prefecture has a lot of forests, but it also has a lot of factories" to convey the same idea, but it somehow seems too reductive. Better to express it as;

"Although two thirds of the prefecture is covered by forests, it is in fact home to a large number of industrial manufacturers...."

It is just a slightly more nuanced way of contrasting two ideas.

Make sense?