What's new

わかってて見れば question

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
I'm wondering about the meaning of わかってて見れば in the 2nd sentence - . (previous sentence is 「男だ」)
Context: Some guy has wings and the speaker is explaining some stuff about him.
I'm sure this is not the てみる "try" aux. verb. It could be one verb after another, but I can't really piece it together since there's also 気づく after. What exactly would the listener "understand" (わかってて) before noticing the largeness of the wings? That he's trying to hide them?

Some similar sentences I found on google:
「俺が気持ちをこめて組んだ自転車なので、キズの場所や特徴は全て分かってて、見ればすぐに分かる」
「個性的な方々が多すぎて落ち着かないけど、分かってて見れば楽しめますね」
「結構スケールのでかい話なんですが、初めから内容が分かってて見れば面白かったと思います」
I found only 1 example in dictionaries/alc with わかる + みる 分かってみの英訳|英辞郎 on the WEB:アルク but I think that's the "try" meaning.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The size of the wings is relatively small, so people might not realize his hidden wings. But if people know about it and look at his back, they would realize the existence of the wings. わかってて見れば expresses the size is like this. (わかっている人が見れば makes more sense, maybe?)

The "try" meaning does generally not take kanji.

The core of the sentence here is
見れば気づく = if you look, you will notice (the wings)
but modified by
わかってて = in the state of understanding/knowing

So わかってて見れば気づく = if you look, already knowing the situation, you can notice/recognise them. And all this modifies 大きさ : わかってて見れば気づく大きさ

So they are of a size such that even though he tries to hide them, if you know what you're looking for you can tell they're there.

This one:
俺が気持ちをこめて組んだ自転車なので、キズの場所や特徴は全て分かってて、見ればすぐに分かる

Split it into two clauses,

1. キズの場所や特徴は全て分かってて
- he knows all the scratches, little details, etc. (of his bike which he put a lot of time/effort/care into)
2. 見ればすぐに分かる
(therefore) if he sees it, he will immediately know (googling, from the context, the thing that he will 分かる is that a given bike is his one that was stolen)

You could equally have 知ってて見れば分かる (if you look, already knowing). Basically, it's this:
分かってる・知っている(state) → 見る (action) → 分かる (outcome)

Thanks a lot, both of you. If this section on the forum didn't exist, I would still be breaking my head over a lot grammar stuff. :)
Oddly enough, I wrote something like "maybe わかってて is kind of adverbial here, modifying how 見る is done", but I deleted it. orz

Back
Top Bottom