What's new

にさらなる

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
見れば間違いなく荒谷とその手下A、Bの嘲笑さらなる屈辱を与えられるからだ。

Hi. Does the に in red mean "and"? If so, how is it different from と?
Thank you.

Yes.

When it occurs, that kind of に suggests abundance or excess.
It's more like "on top of", "in addition to" or something like that, compared to the neutral "and" of と.

Last edited:
Yes. This kind of に suggests abundance or excess.
It's more like "on top of", "in addition to" or something like that, compared to the neutral "and" of と.
Is there a reason you're not interpreting に as the marking the agent of the passive verb 与えられる?
と would make no sense at all here. The relationship between the 嘲笑 and さらなる屈辱 isn't one of "and" or "in addition to".

The point is that 与えられる can be both the passive form and potential form. In a very specific context where 与えられる can be potential, と also can be grammatical other than に. と after 荒谷 should be や even for that case, though.

見れば間違いなく荒谷その手下A、Bの嘲笑とさらなる屈辱を与えられるからだ。
If I see it, I can no doubt give "荒谷やその手下A、Bの嘲笑" and "さらなる屈辱" to someone/something.

The recipient of 嘲笑 and 屈辱, which is marked by に, is omitted here since it's obvious from the context.

To tell the truth, I, too, thought 与えられる was potential at first. I think this is a good example how important the context is to interpret the meaning correctly (the readers wouldn't misunderstand the meaning like me since they already know the flow of the story so far), and the trivial thing like と after 荒谷 can be a critical key, like bentenmusume-san would realize it consciously or unconsciously.

To be fair, while it was my initial inclination to parse 与えられる as passive, I did Google the sentence in question to find the full context and confirm my interpretation before posting my reply.

Oh, I see. I, too, actually sometimes do that before replying, especially when the meaning is vague/ambiguous. It's no doubt better/easier to get the right context than to consider several possible interpretations and get the (seemingly) most appropriate one among them. The context is the key, indeed.

Thank you all. Sorry for not providing some context.
And I thought the agent of 与えられる had to be a person and 嘲笑 was not a person.

Yes, 嘲笑に屈辱を与えられる or even the active one 嘲笑が屈辱を与える is a rather artificial/technical expression. 嘲笑に屈辱を感じる would be more commonly used.

Back
Top Bottom