What's new

ところ / たった / で / おいてない / じゃない

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. でも、いろんな保険があるところを見ると、...

Translation given: "But when you look at all the different types of insurance, ..."

What does ところ mean here? Is it anything more than a nominaliser? I would more expect こと. Would that work too? Would there be a difference in meaning?

2. これが彼のたった一つの希望であった。

Translation given: "This was his one and only hope."

a) Which verb is this たった? Is it 立った?

b) I translated 一つの希望 as "one of his hopes". Would that be 希望の一つ? I think before we have said that 一つのX and Xの一つ can overlap...

3. ホットドッグ2こ、辛子とケチャップつきでおねがいし ます。

Translation given: "I'll have two hot-dogs with mustard and ketchup."

What is で here? Is it the (て form of) the copula, or does it, in conjunction with つき I suppose, convey the sense of "with"?

4. 棚の上に危険物がおいてないか、調べてるんだ。

Translation given: "Just checking to make sure there's nothing on the luggage rack."

Is おいてない = 置いて・いない?

5. 大丈夫よ、わたしたちのかばんだけじゃない。

Translation given: "Relax. There isn't anything apart from the stuff we brought."

My usual confusion about じゃない. Why doesn't this mean "There isn't only our bags", i.e. there is something else?

1)
That's not a nominalizer but a pronoun.

③部分。箇所。点。「悪い―を直す」「粋な―のある人 だ」
ところ - goo辞書

の is barely acceptable, but こと doesn't work here.

2) a)
That's an adverb.
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/158611/m0u/ところ/
[副]《「ただ(唯)」の音変化》
たった - goo辞書

b)
Yes, 一つの希望 means "one of hopes", but たった一つの希望 is "the one and only hope".

3)
で is a particle, which indicates a state in which the action is done.

5 動作・作用の行われる状態を表す。「みんな―研究する 」「笑顔―あいさつする
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/137340/m0u/たった/
で - goo辞書

4)
Yes.

5)
Grammatically, the both interpretations, negative and positive, are possible, but the pitch accents are different between the two cases. (As for the written sentence, the meaning depends on the context.) Although わたしたちのかばんだけじゃないから or わたしたちのかばんだけじゃないじゃない might be more common for negative, and it means something like "it(= accident or something) occurs not only on our bags (but also on others')".

Thanks Toritoribe.

1. I am somewhat familiar with the uses of ところ mentioned in the dictionary definition, but I can't exactly see how they apply to this sentence. Can you think of any way to translate into English so as to give ところ a concrete meaning?

4. I believe in the past I have come across the form ~てある, meaning something approximately like "has been ~ed". Is 置いてある possible? Does this have a negative form? If so, what would that be?

1)
"Point", maybe?

the point that there are different types of insurance

I don't know the exact context, but the example sentence seems to mean いろんな保険があることからすると, i.e., something like "according to the point that there are different types of insurance" to me.

4)
Oh, yes, you're perceptive! It's my mistake. That's not the contraction of 置いていない but the negative of 置いてある, because of the が. If it's 危険物置いてない, the both interpretations are possible.

Thanks Toritoribe. So many of my questions here are dumb, so it's nice to occasionally discover that I've said something sensible!

Back
Top Bottom