とあって is higher than n4 isn't it?

cloa513

Sempai
28 May 2016
From Best Practices Tests by Japan Times Publishing

文法 (2)
友達()あって、一緒に食事をしました
1. を2.へ3.と4.で
I had no idea so I put を whereas I thought the answer should be が and the answer is apparently と
Isn't this question N1 level?

I don't think "a person と会う (to meet a person)" is N1 level. It's a beginner level simple usage of the particle と with "mutual" nuance such like 友達と話す vs. 友達に話す. You misunderstood it with a different set phrase "~とあって (because of~)", by any chance?

Actually, this usage of と is N5 level.

Today I am going to share the homework correction quoted from my JLPT N5 course!

you can use the particle と. The と marks "co-actor".
友だちと会う
母と会う

JLPT GRAMMAR QUIZ N5
Q:2 きのう だれ いっしょに えいがを 見ましたか。
1 を
2 に
3 で
4 と

Learn JLPT N5 Grammar: と (to) – 1
Meaning: and, with

The Jaybot's replies in the thread clearly show that the AI doesn't understand the grammar systematically, and just gathers and gives fragmentary information.

The Jaybot's replies in the thread clearly show that the AI doesn't understand the grammar systematically, and just gathers and gives fragmentary information.
Amen.

Honestly, that entire thread is a great demonstration of why ChatGPT is literally worse than useless -- i.e. actually actively harmful -- as a resource for learning Japanese. (Even more so than my earlier attempts to break and confuse it.)

I've always felt like learners obsess too much over what "JLPT level" a particular piece of grammar/vocab/syntax/etc. is, but the fact that 会う takes the particles に or と -- and never を -- is something that would be taught in any first-year Japanese 101 class or introductory textbook.

Amen.

Honestly, that entire thread is a great demonstration of why ChatGPT is literally worse than useless -- i.e. actually actively harmful -- as a resource for learning Japanese. (Even more so than my earlier attempts to break and confuse it.)

I've always felt like learners obsess too much over what "JLPT level" a particular piece of grammar/vocab/syntax/etc. is, but the fact that 会う takes the particles に or と -- and never を -- is something that would be taught in any first-year Japanese 101 class or introductory textbook.
Keep in mind what we are seeing is the equivalent to this:
200.gif

When the Model T came out, I don't think anybody was seriously imagining this:
200.gif

In other words, we haven't seen anything yet.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding me, but I'm not trying to pooh-pooh or undersell the entire concept of AI (even as it exists now).
I'm fully aware of the potential it has (and, quite honestly, that potential scares me as much as it fascinates me).

I simply don't think we should be citing ChatGPT's answers as if they were authoritative -- especially on matters like Japanese grammar, where it has been demonstrated on multiple occasions to be highly unreliable. (Just like I don't believe we should be citing DeepL translations, etc.)

It seemed confusing because they used あって ratber than 会って (an N5 kanji). Only interested in it because I going for N4 test- I find the Japanese grammar rather odd because I never come across a lot of it in spoken or written and I work in Japanese speaking workplace not that we speak much.

It seemed confusing because they used あって ratber than 会って (an N5 kanji). Only interested in it because I going for N4 test- I find the Japanese grammar rather odd because I never come across a lot of it in spoken or written and I work in Japanese speaking workplace not that we speak much.
I lot of times when I learn something "new" that I feel I haven't heard before I realize it's been there all along but I just wasn't noticing it.

Back
Top Bottom