What's new

て、かけて、なんて

staren

先輩
9 Nov 2011
1. キャンパスの近くには、安くていいアパートがなくて、結局、大学から歩いて
二十分ぐらいの所に適当なのを見つけた。
There was no cheap and good apartment near the campus, but finally we found a suitible one(apartment) (at a place) about 20 minutes by foot from the university.
I have two questions for this sentence.
a. First the teform of なくて. Is my translation correct? So far I have learned that the te form can be used to express sequence of sentences, sort of like "and then" and also sort of like for what reason or how something is done.
I guess in this sentence my first description sort of applies, even though when translating a but should be added in this case?
b. The second question is how do 大学から歩いて二十分ぐらい modify tokoro? Is it two sentences? The first ending with aruite, connecting with the rest that simply modifies tokoro with no? Are there many more ways the te form can be used?

2. 着いたら、すぐ若い男性が話しかけてきた。
I have not seen this stem-kakete before. According to jisho.org "(after -masu stem of verb) indicates (verb) is being directed to (someone)" is one meaning for kakeru. So it means the man started talking to the one writing, right?

3. 日本人は、「私には美しい娘がいます」なんて、英語で もとても言えないと思う。
I don't think japanese people could possibly say (something link(?)) "..." even in english.
What does なんて mean? I see it can mean "things like". Does it also replace particles, in this case と?

1) a)
なくて is a resultative conjunction in this case.

There was no good one, so I/we found ~ after all.

b)
歩いて more likely modifies 二十分. It shows the means of trasnfer as same as で.
e.g.
飛行機で2時間
車で30分
船に乗って5時間(=船で5時間)

2)
Yes.

3)
Unlike と, なんて has a nuance of "to lessen the value of the example".

As always, thank you very much for your reply.

1. a) Would you mind explaining what resultative conjunction is? :)
b) Should I see 歩いて as a separate word or the te form? I mean, could it be replaces with like 走って? If it's just the te form, how is it possible for that to modify a noun? I have never seen that before.

3. Ok. I did some checking on example sentences, and it seems nante often follow 言う. Does it have the same meaning here? Or is it more like an exclamation then?

1) a)
That's 順接; "a conjunction where what follows is a (natural) result of the preceding" like "so", "therefore" in English.

b)
Yes, that's the -te form, as I gave you the example 船に乗って5時間 in my previous post.

手荷物と合わせて20キロまで持ち込める。
妻と私で合わせて5万円の買い物をした。
二つの農園で合わせて30個の収穫があった。

In the examples above, 合わせて20キロ, 合わせて5万円 and 合わせて30個 perform as a set. 合わせて doesn't modify 持ち込める, (買い物を)した, (収穫が)あった. You can think your example as 歩いて二十分ぐらいかかる所.

3)
Are you talking about あんなこと言うなんて or something like that? If so, yes, those なんて are the same. This なんて is from などと, whereas an exclamation なんて (as in なんて素敵) is from なんという.

1) a)
That's 順接; "a conjunction where what follows is a (natural) result of the preceding" like "so", "therefore" in English.

b)
Yes, that's the -te form, as I gave you the example 船に乗って5時間 in my previous post.

手荷物と合わせて20キロまで持ち込める。
妻と私で合わせて5万円の買い物をした。
二つの農園で合わせて30個の収穫があった。

In the examples above, 合わせて20キロ, 合わせて5万円 and 合わせて30個 perform as a set. 合わせて doesn't modify 持ち込める, (買い物を)した, (収穫が)あった. You can think your example as 歩いて二十分ぐらいかかる所.

3)
Are you talking about あんなこと言うなんて or something like that? If so, yes, those なんて are the same. This なんて is from などと, whereas an exclamation なんて (as in なんて素敵) is from なんという.

Thank you for your explanations. I'm still not 100% but hopefully after I see a couple of more time it'll click :)

I just have a question about nadoto seeing as you brought it up :p Or no, now when I was writing the question I understood it :)
Rubber duck debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :p

It's so hard with these things that are used many different situations...

Back
Top Bottom