What's new

つもり vs. と思います

GenjiMain

後輩
29 Jul 2018
Hi guys. So I understand と思います can be used more broadly, but what is the difference between the sentences:

日本の会社で働こうと思います vs. 日本の会社で働くつもりです。

In this particular comparison I can't seem to identify a difference in their meanings. Is there a difference, or perhaps, are they similar in meaning but used in different contexts? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

1. 思います I'm thinking of working in a Japanese company. I'd like to work for a Japanese company. I'll probably work for a Japanese company.
2. つもり I intend to work for a Japanese company. It's my intention to work for a Japanese company. I WILL work for a Japanese company.

the difference is subtle, but the usage, and the attitude of the user, is different..
つもり implies positive intention to do something. It is also a very definitive statement, and can seem very direct, which, depending upon the situation, may not be the desired outcome.

Hi guys. So I understand と思います can be used more broadly, but what is the difference between the sentences:

日本の会社で働こうと思います vs. 日本の会社で働くつもりです。

In this particular comparison I can't seem to identify a difference in their meanings. Is there a difference, or perhaps, are they similar in meaning but used in different contexts? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
The meaning is almost the same. Both ~(よ)うと思います and つもりです express the subject's will. The main difference is that the former can be used only when the speaker is the subject. On the other hand, the latter can be used also for third person and second person in question. ~(よ)うと思っています can be used for second and third person (often with らしい/よう/みたいです), so this form is closer to つもりです.

〇日本の会社で働こうと思います。*1
×あなたは日本の会社で働こうと思います。
〇あなたは日本の会社で働こうと思いますか。*2
×彼は日本の会社で働こうと思います。
×彼は日本の会社で働こうと思いますか。

〇日本の会社で働くつもりです。
×あなたは日本の会社で働くつもりです。
〇あなたは日本の会社で働くつもりですか。*2
〇彼は日本の会社で働くつもりです。
〇彼は日本の会社で働くつもりですか。

〇日本の会社で働こうと思っています。*1
×あなたは日本の会社で働こうと思っています。
〇あなたは日本の会社で働こうと思っていますか。*2
〇彼は日本の会社で働こうと思っています。
〇彼は日本の会社で働こうと思っていますか。

As for the difference between 思います and 思っています, the former is the present will, whereas the latter shows that the speaker has been thinking it from the past.

The question ~(よ)うと思っていますか is a usual yes-no question, but ~(よ)うと思いますか often implies the questioner's blame (such like Do you really think so? I can't believe it). つもりですか can have both nuances for both second and third person.

Hi guys. Bit of a follow up question. When comparing つもり vs. と思っています do you think it could be justified to say that the former is akin to 'intends' while the latter is closer to 'plans'. For example:

メアリーさんは日本でいろいろな経験をするつもりです = Mary intends to have various experiences in Japan.
メアリーさんは日本でいろいろな経験をしょうと思っています = Mary plans to have various experiences in Japan.

I figure this might work, as a 'plan' is usually perceived as a premeditated intention as opposed to a spontaneous one.

Cheers.

That's しう(large よ), not しょう(small ょ).

The meanings are almost the same. The latter also expresses the subject's will/intention since the volitional form ~(よ)う is used for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom