What's new

ってだけだし

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
でも俺もあいつも、いまいち自信がないんですよ。他に目撃者がいるわけでもないし、起きたことといえばけっ結局びしょ濡れになったってだけだし。

Hi. What is the function of the って here?

By the way, does the underlined わけでもない mean "That is not to say ~" or "That doesn't mean ~"? But I feel this meaning doesn't fit in the context? I feel "Because there are no other witnesses" makes more sense.

Thank you.

What is the function of the って here?
It's という, as always. って/という is for quotation, so it adds a nuance something like 「びしょ濡れになった」って/というだけ. The meaning is the same without it, though.

By the way, does the underlined わけでもない mean "That is not to say ~" or "That doesn't mean ~"? But I feel this meaning doesn't fit in the context? I feel "Because there are no other witnesses" makes more sense.
It's used to soften the nuance.

わけ【訳】 の解説
6 (「わけではない」の形で)否定・断定をやわらげた言い方。「だからといって君が憎い訳ではない」「別に反対する訳ではない」

Thank you.
So it is just a mild way to negate the statement? I previously thought for わけでもない to work, there must be some kind of premise and then you say it doesn't necessarily lead to a certain conclusion or result. (e.g. Although I said something bad to you, it doesn't mean I hate you) But in the op, there is no such premise.

いまいち自信がないんですよ can be rephrased with そんなに自信があるわけでもないんですよ, for instance.

Thank you again.
I may have misunderstood you, but what "nuance" do you mean?
いまいち自信がないんですよ can be rephrased with そんなに自信があるわけでもないんですよ, for instance.
My grammar book says わけではない is used to deny what is implied either in the previous statement or in the following statement. Sometimes the statement is not stated but is implied. For example, 結果さえよければいいというわけではない。implies a statement along the lines of 結果がいいことは大切だ。 Do you think the わけでもない also implies some statement?

Back
Top Bottom