What's new

ってからが

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
ラナ「だってIT社長って、女優と付き合ってから本番でしょ?」

Hi. What is the function of the が in red here?
Thank you.

It's just the standard subject particle が.

It may not be a pattern you're used to seeing (a phrase ending with a particle marked as the subject), but you can take 女優と付き合ってから as a single phrase meaning "(the phase or period of time) after you start dating an actress."

The sentiment is "You haven't really experienced what it means to be the president of an IT company until you start dating an actress (i.e. and doing glamorous/exciting things like that, that an ordinary person couldn't do)."

Thank you. So why do you translate 本番 as "experienced what it means to be the president of an IT company"? Doesn't 本番 literally mean "the real thing"?

The speaker thinks that's "the real thing/actual performance", i.e., 女優と付き合うこと is the true reason/purpose of being the president of an IT company. She might be just kidding, of course.

As for からが, in addition to bentenmusume-san's explanation, this から usually only refers to range/area/period of time, and not, for instance, materials or cause/reason.

から also can be attached to を.
e.g.
大学に入ってからをスタートと考える。
最近では75歳あたりからを高齢と呼ぶようになっている。

Incidentally, まで has a similar usage, too.
e.g.
家に帰るまでが遠足です。
日本史では平安時代までを古代と定義している。

と also can be used with が, but, unlike から and まで, it usually suggests that a verb is omitted after と.
e.g.
一緒に仕事をするなら、彼とが一番いい。(=彼とするのが)
あいつとが一番戦いにくい。(=あいつと戦うのが)

Thank you for the supplementary explanation.
The speaker thinks that's "the real thing/actual performance", i.e., 女優と付き合うこと is the true reason/purpose of being the president of an IT company. She might be just kidding, of course.
Hmm...So "the real thing/本番" refers to "being a real president"?

I have a feeling you might be thinking about this too literally. Like Toritoribe-san and I implied, it's meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Obviously plenty of tech CEOs don't actually end up dating actresses, but this person is suggesting that's what the real experience is all about. Like if someone said "You haven't _really_ lived in Japan until you've drank sake all night with a 60-year-old salaryman you just met, missed your last train, and ended up sleeping on a park bench." That's the sentiment, that what's being described as 本番 is the _true_ experience.

Back
Top Bottom