What's new

たべやすい How do I use this?

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
I understand it means something like easy to do.

So could it be used like this: Cooking for me is easy to do/handle.

Thanks.

Easy to eat. It can refer to the physicality of the eating ("this ice cream is easy to eat because it comes in a cup with a spoon attached to the cup").
Or it can refer to the flavor - something where the bitterness has been removed, thereby making it "easy to eat".

I wonder if this is a good way to say "It's difficult to eat rice with chopsticks."

箸でご飯を食べにくい です。
はし で ごはん を たべにくい です。

Or perhaps it's just better to say it the obvious way:

箸でご飯を食べるのは難しいです。
はし で ごはん を たべる の は むずかししい です。

I think because verb~nikui behaves like an adjective that modifies the object of the verb, it changes the particle that is used.

So although you would say …ご飯食べるのは/が難しいです
using ~nikui it would be …ご飯は/が食べにくいです。

I'm not sure if you could say ご飯食べにくい... as gohan is no longer the direct object () of a nominalized sentence clause, but is the subject (/) of the ~nikui-modified adjectival verb (hope that makes sense, not sure if that's the right word for it).
~~

@musicisgood, the subject of the thread and your chosen example are different, as explained by @Majestic in post #3, where he gives you examples of using the ~yasui structure to express your example sentence of "Cooking for me is easy to do/handle."

I think the ~yasui structure here is useful more when talking about a particular dish or situation where it's particularly or comparably easier to cook or make something. The subject of the sentence is the object of the verb, so 料理しやすい is more about the dish being easy to make for whatever reason, rather than it being easy for you in particular.

Other ways you could express this idea, where you are the subject of the sentence:
料理はぼくの得意です or simply 料理は得意です > cooking is my specialty/strong suit
(ぼくは) 料理 (をするの) が上手です > (I am) good/skilled at cooking
(ぼくには) 料理が簡単にできます > (To me) cooking is easy/simple to do

Key vocab:
ご飯ごはんgohan - rice/food
料理りょうりryouri - cooking
難しいむずかしいmuzukashii - difficult
得意とくいtokui - specialty
上手じょうずjouzu - skilled
簡単かんたんkantan - simple

Easy to eat. It can refer to the physicality of the eating ("this ice cream is easy to eat because it comes in a cup with a spoon attached to the cup").
Or it can refer to the flavor - something where the bitterness has been removed, thereby making it "easy to eat".
Thanks for explaining that way.

I think because verb~nikui behaves like an adjective that modifies the object of the verb, it changes the particle that is used.

So although you would say …ご飯食べるのは/が難しいです
using ~nikui it would be …ご飯は/が食べにくいです。

I'm not sure if you could say ご飯食べにくい... as gohan is no longer the direct object () of a nominalized sentence clause, but is the subject (/) of the ~nikui-modified adjectival verb (hope that makes sense, not sure if that's the right word for it).
~~

@musicisgood, the subject of the thread and your chosen example are different, as explained by @Majestic in post #3, where he gives you examples of using the ~yasui structure to express your example sentence of "Cooking for me is easy to do/handle."

I think the ~yasui structure here is useful more when talking about a particular dish or situation where it's particularly or comparably easier to cook or make something. The subject of the sentence is the object of the verb, so 料理しやすい is more about the dish being easy to make for whatever reason, rather than it being easy for you in particular.

Other ways you could express this idea, where you are the subject of the sentence:
料理はぼくの得意です or simply 料理は得意です > cooking is my specialty/strong suit
(ぼくは) 料理 (をするの) が上手です > (I am) good/skilled at cooking
(ぼくには) 料理が簡単にできます > (To me) cooking is easy/simple to do

Key vocab:
ご飯ごはんgohan - rice/food
料理りょうりryouri - cooking
難しいむずかしいmuzukashii - difficult
得意とくいtokui - specialty
上手じょうずjouzu - skilled
簡単かんたんkantan - simple
Thank you. Appreciate it.

Back