What's new

たって / 私だって色々がまんしている / わるいことをしました / 注文して

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. しばらくたってから、...

I assume from context this means "some time later", so is this たって from 経つ?

2. Amy has been reflecting on how she has comitted various faux pas while staying with a Japanese family, and how the Japanese host mother has showed patience and tolerance towards her (がまんしてくらて). Then comes:

私だって色々がまんしているけれど他の文化を学ぶこと は本当にたいへんだわ、とエイミーは思った。

My attempted translation: "'Even though people have been tolerant in all sorts of ways, learning about another culture is really difficult', thought Amy."

I don't understand the grammar of the first part. Is 私 somehow the object or indirect object of がまんしている? Does だって mean "even though"? Does the use of だって suppress some particle (に?) that would otherwise be present?

3. 北村課長は、お客さんに、わるいことをしました。

Does this mean "Section Head Kitamura had a difficult time with a customer"? Or "... did a bad thing to a customer"? Or something else?

4. 「何もありませんけれど、どうぞ。」と大島さんは言っ たが、大島さんがあらかじめお寿司を注文しておいてく れたのがエイミーにもわかった。

My translation: "'I don't have anything [polite understatement], but please help yourself', said Mrs Oshima, but Amy realised that Mrs Oshima had ordered the sushi for them in advance."

Is this OK? They are at Mrs Oshima's house, so in what sense is 注文して used? Is it like ordering from a takeaway or something?

What does も mean? Is it just adding a mild emphasis maybe?

1. しばらくたってから、...
I assume from context this means "some time later", so is this たって from 経つ?
Yes.

2. Amy has been reflecting on how she has comitted various faux pas while staying with a Japanese family, and how the Japanese host mother has showed patience and tolerance towards her (がまんしてくらて). Then comes:
私だって色々がまんしているけれど他の文化を学ぶことは本当にたいへんだわ、とエイミーは思った。
My attempted translation: "'Even though people have been tolerant in all sorts of ways, learning about another culture is really difficult', thought Amy."
I don't understand the grammar of the first part. Is 私 somehow the object or indirect object of がまんしている?
No, it's the subject.

Does だって mean "even though"? Does the use of だって suppress some particle (に?) that would otherwise be present?
That's "also(even)", as same as here. However, your translation "even though" is correct. It's from けれど, and not だって, though.;-)

3. 北村課長は、お客さんに、わるいことをしました。
Does this mean "Section Head Kitamura had a difficult time with a customer"? Or "... did a bad thing to a customer"? Or something else?
The latter. Although it would mean more likely "to cause trouble/inconvenience to the custumer" here.

4. 「何もありませんけれど、どうぞ。」と大島さんは言ったが、大島さんがあらかじめお寿司を注文しておいてくれたのがエイミーにもわかった。
My translation: "'I don't have anything [polite understatement], but please help yourself', said Mrs Oshima, but Amy realised that Mrs Oshima had ordered the sushi for them in advance."
Is this OK? They are at Mrs Oshima's house, so in what sense is 注文して used? Is it like ordering from a takeaway or something?
Right. Mrs Oshima did not make the sushi by herself.

What does も mean? Is it just adding a mild emphasis maybe?
I think it's "even".
but even Amy realised that...

Thank you!

No, it's the subject.
That's "also(even)"
Oh, oops. I think だって is my least favourite Japanese word. As far as the "also" aspect of this meaning is concerned: Previously we've been told that others have been patient/tolerant to her; now it's saying that she herself has also been patient/tolerant. Is that the general idea?

They are at Mrs Oshima's house, so in what sense is 注文して used? Is it like ordering from a takeaway or something?
Speaking for Mrs Oshima, she didn't do it in order to cut corners. In Japan, it's not uncommon to order sushi delivery when entertaining guests.

Back
Top Bottom