What's new

じゃないか / もの

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. ロン、どうして着ないんだい?着ろよ。とっても暖かいじゃないか。

What is the intended nuance of じゃないか? Is it asking for an opinion after the addressee has put on the item of clothing, expecting the answer to be "yes"?

2. テーブルのあちこちに魔法のクラッカーが山のように置いてあった。ダーズリー家ではプラスチックのおもちゃや薄いペラペラの紙帽子が入っているクラッカーを買ってきたが、そんなちゃちなマグルのクラッカーとはものが違う。

Does もの at the end refer to the 魔法のクラッカー? Or is ものが違う some kind of set expression? Or something else?

1. No other action takes place during that little speech. It is a semi-rhetorical question that expects or encourages a 'yes' for an answer, though.

Thanks Toritoribe, in (1), given that the addressee is not yet wearing the item of clothing, do you get the sense that the speaker is (semi-rhetorically) expecting the addressee to make a judgement just by looking at it?

僕はとりとりべ先生じゃないから、なんとか褒められた気がします 😊

I've read that section (well, the whole book) in both English and Japanese so it's hard for me to say what's in the sentence and what's in the context, but yes, I got that feeling from the passage. I got a sense from the description of the sweaters, as well, that they did in fact look very warm, although I don't recall the precise wording in either language, but the description was such that it would seem hard to deny that they were warm sweaters.

暖かい is the feelings the speaker(George) has about the sweaters Mrs. Weasley knitted. He already wore the sweater and feels so.

フレッドとジョージも青いセーターを着ていた。
-------
「ロン、どうして着ないんだい? 着ろよ。とっても暖かいじゃないか」
とジョージがせかした。

OK, thanks, sorry to have laboured this but I do have such problems with じゃない.

Back
Top Bottom