What's new

しないか / 水をバケツに一ぱい / とする / で(は)なければ

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. しずかにしないか

It seems that this should mean "Be quiet!". I understand しずかに, but how does しないか create the required meaning?

2. まるで、水をバケツに一ぱい、フックの頭からぶっかけ たみたいに、人間らしい弱さは、少しのかげも残さず消 え去りました。

a) I'm assuming that 水 is the object of ぶっかけた, and バケツに一ぱい essentially means "bucketful", though behaving adverbially in the Japanese. Correct?

b) Nothing in the rest of the context suggests that the subject of ぶっかけた is a specific person, so is it just some imaginary person who might have done this, whose identity is unimportant?

c) I don't understand the reason for から. Wouldn't に make more sense? What action is being described with から?

3. もしスミーが好かれる人間だとするなら、なぜスミーは人に好かれるのか?

What is the purpose of とする here?

4. What is the difference between ~でなければ and ~ではなければ?

1)
~しないか is originally from asking whether to do or no to do, and the meaning changes to "to press/force to do".

2) a) b)
Yes.

c)
に just indicates that the location where 水をぶっかけた was his head, whereas から implies that the water flew down to his body through his head (since から indicates the starting point).

3)
To indicate that the preceding clause is a hypothesis.

4)
Basically the same. ~でなければ would be for more general-purpose.

Last edited:
Not quite. Check out this progression:

スミーが好かれる人間だとする。 "(I) assume Smee is a human who is liked."
スミーが好かれる人間だとしよう。 "Let's assume Smee is a human who is liked."
もしスミーが好かれる人間だとするなら。 "If we suppose (assume) that Smee is a human who is liked..."

I see, thanks.

Oh, one more thing if I may -- does the ~ないか pattern in (1) work with arbitrary verbs, or is しないか a special idiom?

(I suppose it's a bit like English "Won't you be quiet?", which is close to an imperative. I don't know why I didn't think of that before...)

It should work with any verb you can give a command for. Check out this famous (I assume) scene from るろうに剣心. You can watch it all, or just go to 8:46, where it comes (止めんかァァァ!).

Also, 速く呼び出せんか! is another one I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I meant "~でなければ would be for more general-purpose" in #4. I revised my post.

Yeah, it can be used for こっちに来ないか!, 早く学校に行かないか! etc. This expression is a bit oldish and not so commonly used in daily conversation nowadays, though. Further, こっちに来ないか can be an invitation with different intonation.

(It should be 速く呼び出んか!.;-))

This is off topic, but do you know the part 2 and 3 of the live version movie of るろうに剣心 is now shooting?

(It should be 速く呼び出んか!.;-))

You know, I've thought that for a long time now, but that is not what I've ever heard.

Toritoribe said:
This is off topic, but do you know the part 2 and 3 of the live version movie of るろうに剣心 is now shooting?

I knew about part 2, but this is the first I hear of part 3. I still haven't seen the first one!

OK, I guess it is 呼び出さんか. It's not very distinct, but that certainly makes more sense.

Oh, so they're following the series? Nice. Yeah, not just 天翔龍閃, but 龍巻閃 and that 旋風 one. That one is crazy. And what about the giant that 比古清十郎 fights? What's his name? 不二?

The only "secret technique" that was appeared in the first movie was 双龍閃. They portrayed 剣心 more as a "normal" man. So I'm interested in the way of their visualising the bout. :)

Back
Top Bottom