What's new

こっちに引っ張られて出てくると

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
Hi. Does the こっち mean "here" (instead of referring to よしのん)? And does the 出て mean "appear" (instead of "come out")?
Thank you.
9A34D4FD-C4E5-412B-B74A-B6AFF024255E.jpeg

I don't know who よしのん is, but it seems to me that こっち refers to こっちの世界 (as opposed to 妖精の世界).

Thank you. よしのん is the puppet of the 精霊 called よしの (who wears the puppet on her hand). The protagonist and よしの are in a big department store and they are talking. A troop is waiting outside. Once the 精霊 comes out, the troop will kill her.

Thank you.
Well, my interpretation is not changed.
So it's "if the troop is drawn to this world..."? I would think it means "if the troop is drawn to the department store, they will attack me immediately."
By the way, does the 出て mean "appear" (instead of "come out")?

You misinterpreted the subject of 引っ張られる and 出てくる. It's "I/we", i.e., よしのん (and よしの/ハーミット). Also, ~と conditional is more likely "when", not "if", here.

The troops are the subject of 攻撃してくる. They're the ones doing the attacking, not the ones who are being pulled into this world.

Obviously the subjects of (引っ張られて)出てくる and 攻撃してくる aren't the same, right?

(edit: Whoops, posted at the same time as Toritoribe-san, again. I'll leave my post here, too, in case the double clarification is helpful.)

Thank you. I see. You know the story better than me. I didn't even consider the existence of 精霊の世界.:p
Obviously the subjects of (引っ張られて)出てくる and 攻撃してくる aren't the same, right?
Well, it is not so obvious to me. Sorry.
And the meaning of 出て?

What do you think about the difference between "to come out to this world" and "to appear in this world"?

zuotengdazuo said:
Well, it is not so obvious to me. Sorry.
Then you should probably review the use of the conditional と. The nature of と along with the usage of the -てくる forms makes it almost impossible to interpret 出てくる and 攻撃してくる as having the same subject.

(???)(よしのんが)出てくると、(よしのんが)攻撃してくる
(???)(兵隊が)出てくると、(兵隊が)攻撃してくる

The above are just hypothetical examples where the implied subject is the same, but neither of these make logical sense, right?

The only rational interpretation is "When X is pulled from somewhere and comes out here, Y comes in and attacks them.", where X and Y (the two subjects) are different, no?

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Toritoribe-san's point is that the two terms are synonymous and describe the exact same action. The only difference is how you're expressing it in English.

The subject was somewhere else and now they've come out/appeared here. That's the meaning of 出る/出てくる. How you'd choose to render it in English depends on your personal preference, but surely the meaning of the verb itself is clear, no?

You know the story better than me. I didn't even consider the existence of 精霊の世界.
I remember the plot of the story you quoted in the following thread.

精霊がこの世界に現れようとする際に

Back
Top Bottom