What's new

〜ている時 and 〜ている間に

Sultan

大学生
10 Nov 2015
Do these two have same meaning, as in for example
テレビを見ている時、友達から電話がありました。
お風呂に入っている間に、電話がありました。

~ているとき can express "the event of the main clause continues during the period of the subordinate clause" other than ~ているときに "the event of the main clause happens at a moment in the period of the subordinate clause" like your examples. In this case, it can't be replaced with ~ているあいだに. Instead, ~ているあいだ is used. Thus, the answer is no. They are not always interchangeable.

at a moment in the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているときに、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているあいだに、電話が鳴った。
×お風呂に入っているあいだ、電話が鳴った。

during the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
△お風呂に入っているときに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
△お風呂に入っているあいだに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
○お風呂に入っているあいだ、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
* These two sentences can be valid, but the meanings are different from just とき or あいだ.

Meanings are bit different.
1st sentence means "it might be able to pick up a phone".
but 2nd sentence means "couldn't pick up a phone".

So, what do you think about the following examples?

テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったが気づかなかった。
テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったので音を小さくしてから出た。
お風呂に入っている間に電話があったから、あわてて裸のまま出た。

The below is answers.

1. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったが気づかなかった。
There was a phone call when I was watching TV. But I couldn't realize the phone.
2. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったので音を小さくしてから出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was watching TV, I reduced the volume and picked up the phone.
3. お風呂に入っている間に電話があったから、あわてて裸のまま出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was taking a bath, I picked up the phone without clothes.

3. is not polished enough and can't use for everyone.

~ているとき can express "the event of the main clause continues during the period of the subordinate clause" other than ~ているときに "the event of the main clause happens at a moment in the period of the subordinate clause" like your examples. In this case, it can't be replaced with ~ているあいだに. Instead, ~ているあいだ is used. Thus, the answer is no. They are not always interchangeable.

at a moment in the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているときに、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているあいだに、電話が鳴った。
×お風呂に入っているあいだ、電話が鳴った。

during the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
△お風呂に入っているときに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
△お風呂に入っているあいだに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
○お風呂に入っているあいだ、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
* These two sentences can be valid, but the meanings are different from just とき or あいだ.
My apologies for the late reply. So, ているとき can mean both "at a moment in the period" and "during the period", ているときに and ているあいだに are for "at a moment in the period" and ているあいだ is for "during the period", right?

I haven't thought this meaning deeply till now.. I think ているとき indicates short term (at a moment), ているあいだ indicates "during the period". I guess people mostly use ているとき. I think ているとき can be used for many cases.

The below is answers.

1. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったが気づかなかった。
There was a phone call when I was watching TV. But I couldn't realize the phone.
2. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったので音を小さくしてから出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was watching TV, I reduced the volume and picked up the phone.
3. お風呂に入っている間に電話があったから、あわてて裸のまま出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was taking a bath, I picked up the phone without clothes.

3. is not polished enough and can't use for everyone.
You are misunderstanding my intention. I'm not asking you for translation. I produced counterevidence against your explanation (or just impression).

So, ているとき can mean both "at a moment in the period" and "during the period", ているときに and ているあいだに are for "at a moment in the period" and ているあいだ is for "during the period", right?
Yes, you got it!

I haven't thought this meaning deeply till now.. I think ているとき indicates short term (at a moment), ているあいだ indicates "during the period". I guess people mostly use ているとき. I think ているとき can be used for many cases.
母が生きているとき、私たちは幸せだった。
(short term/at a moment?)

瞬きしているあいだに、目の前を猛スピードで車が通り過ぎた。
(during the period?)

Please read my initial post. I already gave the answer and the OP already got it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom