What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

〜ている時 and 〜ている間に

Sultan

大学生
Reaction score
Do these two have same meaning, as in for example
テレビを見ている時、友達から電話がありました。
お風呂に入っている間に、電話がありました。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
~ているとき can express "the event of the main clause continues during the period of the subordinate clause" other than ~ているときに "the event of the main clause happens at a moment in the period of the subordinate clause" like your examples. In this case, it can't be replaced with ~ているあいだに. Instead, ~ているあいだ is used. Thus, the answer is no. They are not always interchangeable.

at a moment in the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているときに、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているあいだに、電話が鳴った。
×お風呂に入っているあいだ、電話が鳴った。

during the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
△お風呂に入っているときに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
△お風呂に入っているあいだに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
○お風呂に入っているあいだ、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
* These two sentences can be valid, but the meanings are different from just とき or あいだ.

Parthkun

後輩
Reaction score
Meanings are bit different.
1st sentence means "it might be able to pick up a phone".
but 2nd sentence means "couldn't pick up a phone".

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
So, what do you think about the following examples?

テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったが気づかなかった。
テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったので音を小さくしてから出た。
お風呂に入っている間に電話があったから、あわてて裸のまま出た。

Parthkun

後輩
Reaction score
The below is answers.

1. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったが気づかなかった。
There was a phone call when I was watching TV. But I couldn't realize the phone.
2. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったので音を小さくしてから出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was watching TV, I reduced the volume and picked up the phone.
3. お風呂に入っている間に電話があったから、あわてて裸のまま出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was taking a bath, I picked up the phone without clothes.

3. is not polished enough and can't use for everyone.

Sultan

大学生
Reaction score
~ているとき can express "the event of the main clause continues during the period of the subordinate clause" other than ~ているときに "the event of the main clause happens at a moment in the period of the subordinate clause" like your examples. In this case, it can't be replaced with ~ているあいだに. Instead, ~ているあいだ is used. Thus, the answer is no. They are not always interchangeable.

at a moment in the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているときに、電話が鳴った。
○お風呂に入っているあいだに、電話が鳴った。
×お風呂に入っているあいだ、電話が鳴った。

during the period
○お風呂に入っているとき、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
△お風呂に入っているときに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
△お風呂に入っているあいだに、ずっと歌を歌っていた。*
○お風呂に入っているあいだ、ずっと歌を歌っていた。
* These two sentences can be valid, but the meanings are different from just とき or あいだ.
My apologies for the late reply. So, ているとき can mean both "at a moment in the period" and "during the period", ているときに and ているあいだに are for "at a moment in the period" and ているあいだ is for "during the period", right?

Parthkun

後輩
Reaction score
I haven't thought this meaning deeply till now.. I think ているとき indicates short term (at a moment), ているあいだ indicates "during the period". I guess people mostly use ているとき. I think ているとき can be used for many cases.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The below is answers.

1. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったが気づかなかった。
There was a phone call when I was watching TV. But I couldn't realize the phone.
2. テレビを見ている時、友達から電話があったので音を小さくしてから出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was watching TV, I reduced the volume and picked up the phone.
3. お風呂に入っている間に電話があったから、あわてて裸のまま出た。
Since there was a phone call when I was taking a bath, I picked up the phone without clothes.

3. is not polished enough and can't use for everyone.
You are misunderstanding my intention. I'm not asking you for translation. I produced counterevidence against your explanation (or just impression).

So, ているとき can mean both "at a moment in the period" and "during the period", ているときに and ているあいだに are for "at a moment in the period" and ているあいだ is for "during the period", right?
Yes, you got it!

I haven't thought this meaning deeply till now.. I think ているとき indicates short term (at a moment), ているあいだ indicates "during the period". I guess people mostly use ているとき. I think ているとき can be used for many cases.
母が生きているとき、私たちは幸せだった。
(short term/at a moment?)

瞬きしているあいだに、目の前を猛スピードで車が通り過ぎた。
(during the period?)

Please read my initial post. I already gave the answer and the OP already got it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom