What's new

Yotsubato! Questions

zxuiji

Sempai
27 Feb 2017
Yo I'm back, couldn't motivate myself strongly enough to do mass revision anymore so now I ordered (from a japan sourced store on amazon I think) and received the books/volumes? for this series up until book/volume 13 as I read somewhere that it was recommended for beginners and thought that since I love to read more than studying I might have more luck retaining focus if I try reading that and looking up each new word (or forgotten ones) on jisho.org. Got as far as the father's first statement which I understood to basically be "soon" with jisho's help, that was fine but then jisho basically choked on yotsuba's response which was "ooootsu", the only thing in jisho's translation that looked like it might be it is "thank you" but I'd like an expert to give their input and suggestions for how to look that sort of stuff up on my own.

I'd have to see it, but most likely the "tsu" you see there is an "abrupt-ending tsu" and is silent. So probably it's something like "ohhhhhhhhhhhh!"
Manga is filled with sounds and colloquialisms that aren't words in the dictionary. For example in an English comic you might see "Grrrrrrr" to show anger or frustration.
There are probably reference books for this sort of thing. Rather than trying to figure out every little thing, for now maybe skip the stuff you can't figure out or look up easily.

Ah that makes more sense than thanks, thanks XD
As far as reference books go, any you know of that are relatively good? Multiple is fine since I'm not expecting any one book to have every kind in it.

Edit: Put thank instead of that XD

*sigh* another one, "koko ie ga itsu pai aru na!"
I needed jisho after the ga part and determined itsu tobe "when" and "aru" to be "happen" but it failed to help me with the "pai" part, "na!" I get is just an emphasizer so I will ignore that but would like to know what that "pai" is about

ここいえがいっぱいあるな

Also, you've been here for one and a half years... how about using kana and kanji instead of romaji?

Would but haven't linked up my phone to my PC, doing now when in about an hour I'll go to bed just seems, I dunno, too much effort?

If you are on your phone, just install a japanese keyboard. It takes 2 minutes.

Btw, is it clear now what "itsu pai" was?

I'm on my PC, this site is clunky on phones in my opinion, I have a server & client app, think it was called BTHandWriting, and I use that to make use of my phone's handwriting keyboard to input the kana/kanji

But why... Then if you are on PC just install Microsoft IME, or the Google one.

Btw, is it clear now what "itsu pai" was?

A: Compare the difference in handwriting with a mouse to that of your thumb or finger then tell me which is easier to you, for me it is easier to use the phone for kana/kanji
B: No I still don't know what that pai is for, gave up after attempting jisho, jpm (app on google play) and an app that lists only verbs

You don't use your mouse to input japanese...you use your keyboard. My 10 fingers are definitely faster and more reliable than handwriting on a phone screen. You will need to get used to writing kana if you are going to learn japanese. Moreover, romaji is harder to read for everyone.

What you originally wrote was いぱい. What is actually written in the manga is いぱい. It's a single word.

Last edited:
Ah that was the problem, I couldn't tell that the tsu was the small one, thanks for that, hopefully I'll get the hang of identifying those buggers, I'll put off continuing until tomorrow now since I will soon go to bed and am currently reading a novel that has recently started being translated (enough that I'll catch up before bed)

I think you should instead read Genki, as has been recommended to you by countless people in a previous thread. Just my 2 cents.

Would I be correct in assuming the sentence was supposed to mean something like "next home a lot will happen", lot of meanings showed up for いっぱい so I took a contextual guess from what I looked at

Would I be correct in assuming the sentence was supposed to mean something like "next home a lot will happen", lot of meanings showed up for いっぱい so I took a contextual guess from what I looked at
Hard to tell without some context but I guess
ここいえがいっぱいあるな
here houses lots-of there-are

Ah I did initially think of here when I read ここ but because I also didn't realize I was misinterpreting ある I ended up looking for another meaning, yours definitely makes more sense, thanks :)

Now that I think of it I also forgot that kanji don't generally distinguish between single and plural, soo thanks for unintentionally pointing that out too :)

Back
Top Bottom