What's new

Yay! I got my very first rice cooker~!!

What!? Cola to sweeten the meat!? 😌

You won't believe it, but it's good! The carbonated soda combined with pressure buildup inside the rice cooker speeds up the slow-cook process, and the carmelized sugar is good for kakuni.

I've also tried cooking beef chuck with beer to make beef stew, and it was great! Especially because you don't have to watch it. 👍

(Note: Japanese don't use crockpots/slow-cookers.)

You won't believe it, but it's good! The carbonated soda combined with pressure buildup inside the rice cooker speeds up the slow-cook process, and the carmelized sugar is good for kakuni.
I've also tried cooking beef chuck with beer to make beef stew, and it was great! Especially because you don't have to watch it. 👍
(Note: Japanese don't use crockpots/slow-cookers.)
I will try it as soon as I get the chance!! Thanks!! 👍

Guys, he;lp... I'd like to make some porridge, (upset tummy from flu), but I'm not sure how I should set the water levels (there are guides in the pot, but I'm not sure what they allude to...)

Tasukete onegai shimasu!

Guys, he;lp... I'd like to make some porridge, (upset tummy from flu), but I'm not sure how I should set the water levels (there are guides in the pot, but I'm not sure what they allude to...)

Tasukete onegai shimasu!

There are two kinds of 窶堋ィ窶堋ゥ窶堙、.
ナ津懌?「ツェ窶堋ェ窶堙、, porridge very soft rice with a lot of water and
窶牢窶堋ェ窶堙、, with rice a bit firmer and less water.

There must be two different gauges for these 窶堋ィ窶堋ゥ窶堙、 inside the pot,
窶牢窶堋ェ窶堙、ツ ツ−ツ−ツ 窶堋ィ窶堋ゥ窶堙、ツ 窶牢
ナ津懌?「ツェ窶堋ェ窶堙、ツ ツ−ツ−ツ 窶堋ィ窶堋ゥ窶堙、ツ 窶啜窶「ツェ
Use 0.5 cup of rice and will the water up to either of the above gauge.
(Cup is the one that comes with the cooker - 1 cup = 180ml)

Hope this helps. Oh, and do take care of yourself.
Keep yourself warm, take a lot of water, and have a good rest.

----
Edit on 2nd April 2007: description of 窶牢窶堋ェ窶堙、 and ナ津懌?「ツェ窶堋ェ窶堙、 were switched.
Now I modified it.
:(
I'm sooooo sorry, Michael, I hope you did not have a problem with this!

Last edited:
Thank you undrentide! I'll try this --- i have it set for timer for when I get off work, unfortunately the rice cooker didn't come with a cup, I'll have to buy one, as I've found out that the size of a "cup" 180mL is different than an American cup, about 237mL...

Hopefully this wont make it too bad...

After reading all the other things you can cook with fuzzy logic rice cookers, I'll probably eventually break down and get one of these...

Amazon product ASIN B000260JPI

Hi yukio_michael,

You don't need to "buy" a Japanese measuring cup. Just use one of those measurement converters available on the Web to calculate what 180ml is in ounces and mark that line on a paper or plastic cup you use. Maybe you can cut the cup for easier use. (That's what I did when I lived in the US.)

As for the dishes you can cook with a rice cooker, you don't need a new and expensive one. The only thing important in the rice cooker dishes is sealing and pressure. Many people who post recipes on the Web say the cheap rice cookers work fine. In the event that you get a nice one like the Sanyo product you posted, I'd say use it to cook rice and use the older one for other foods. 👍

Omedeto

Omedeto Yukio!
I would love to have a rice cooker (since i'm the only person in my house who seems to like rice and lately it seems like alot of work to do just for me), and now you're making me jealous:) . Well anyway, good luck with getting better acquainted with it, just for the record i would prefer ナ津懌?「ツェ窶堋ェ窶堙、 over 窶牢窶堋ェ窶堙、.

Nice to see everyone....

Omedeto Yukio!
I would love to have a rice cooker (since i'm the only person in my house who seems to like rice and lately it seems like alot of work to do just for me), and now you're making me jealous:) . Well anyway, good luck with getting better acquainted with it, just for the record i would prefer ナ津懌?「ツェ窶堋ェ窶堙、 over 窶牢窶堋ェ窶堙、.

Nice to see everyone....
It was the best thing I purchased within the last 6 months (next to my ipod lulz) and I use it almost daily!

I love my rice cooker, I can't think of living without it now, not unlike my ipod.... ;)

Edit on 2nd April 2007: description of 窶牢窶堋ェ窶堙、 and ナ津懌?「ツェ窶堋ェ窶堙、 were switched.
Now I modified it.
:(
I'm sooooo sorry, Michael, I hope you did not have a problem with this!
I think I noticed, but, it was perfect, the okayu was delicious!

Carribean Rice :p:

This side or a vegetarian main is loaded with flavor and texture. I made this in a rice cooker if you Add more water will increase the cooking time and produce softer rice; reducing the amount of water will produce firmer rice. But once you've found the ratio that's right for you, it'll be very easy to have perfect rice your way. Yes you can make stove top as well. Be sure not to remove the lid till done cooking.

40 min 15 min prep

1 cup white rice, rinsed
1 teaspoon ground jamaican jerk spice
1/4 cup cilantro or parsley
1 sprig thyme, stem discarded
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 scallions, sliced
3/4 cup finely diced sweet potatoes
1/3 cup toasted coconut
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup diced red peppers
1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth, to cover rice

1.Put aside 1 tablespoon scallions and 1 teaspoon coconut for garnish.

2.Place all the rest ingredients in rice cooker. Pour broth 3/4 inch above the level of the rice.

3.Press the cook button.

4.When done fluff with fork place in a serving dish and top with reserved coconut and scallions place lime along side for garnish and use as wanted.

Is it the same!?

Not really.. Mine is a RCK-B5M, and yours is a A5M. I have no clue what the difference is but it sure works good!! I think it's the first time I ever used a Suihanki, and I have the idea that it takes longer than when you cook it with a ordinary pan.. 😌 Ah well, it is convenient. 👍

Hey I know it is a bit off topic, but I ma looking for a rice cooker. As there is crap all available in NZ, I will probably have to buy one in Japan during my layover. Just wondering if there is an english site regarding what to look for in a cooker? I hear the IH is all the rage, and only those models allow you to cook other stuff, but there is very little in the way of english info out there.

Thanks in advance! 🙏

Hey I know it is a bit off topic, but I ma looking for a rice cooker. As there is crap all available in NZ, I will probably have to buy one in Japan during my layover. Just wondering if there is an english site regarding what to look for in a cooker? I hear the IH is all the rage, and only those models allow you to cook other stuff, but there is very little in the way of english info out there.
Thanks in advance! 🙏
There are indeed very few English pages on rice cookers. But um.. What do you look for in a rice cooker? Most of 'em cook rice and have a timer, and I can't really think of anything else you might need. I took a look at the newest models a few days ago, and they "special pressure regulators" and stuff, but I wonder if it really makes a difference.. 😌

well there are also english rice cookers but you cannot do other stuff with it only to cook your rice(they are electric cookers)

you have only to push down and add water and it will be cooked in 35mins approx. and when its done the lamp wil spring yellow and then a lines appear and it says : rice cooked.

Me and my girlfriend bought one for allmost nothing and its very good quality, we went to buy it in a local asian shop! the brand is of Panasonic,

i found the same picture on the net:

PANSR42HZP-1.jpg

There are indeed very few English pages on rice cookers. But um.. What do you look for in a rice cooker? Most of 'em cook rice and have a timer, and I can't really think of anything else you might need. I took a look at the newest models a few days ago, and they "special pressure regulators" and stuff, but I wonder if it really makes a difference.. 😌

Well that's part of the problem - what is it that makes a 55,000 Yen rice cooker so much better than a $80NZD model with a glass lid? I am continually under the impression that we miss out on products in NZ as we are not even made aware of their existence - for example number portability between cell-phone providers isn't even legal until the end of this month (as an example of how involuntarily technologically challenged we are).

I think that Panasonic does not produce electric cooking devices.
In Matsushita Group,
Panasonic produces television and digital cameras and,
I think that National produces electric cooking devices.

I think that Panasonic does not produce electric cooking devices.
In Matsushita Group,
Panasonic produces television and digital cameras and,
I think that National produces electric cooking devices.

Maybe they use the Panasonic name for export items. The Panasonic name is well-known outside Japan, but nobody would recognize "National" as coming from the same group.

I've bought a bigger electric (15 cups) rice cooker of Hitachi(bought it in the same shop were i buyed the panasonic one) it is white with prints of trees on it , but im sorry there isnt a picture on the net :( so i can't show it you.

As for the dishes you can cook with a rice cooker, you don't need a new and expensive one. The only thing important in the rice cooker dishes is sealing and pressure. Many people who post recipes on the Web say the cheap rice cookers work fine. In the event that you get a nice one like the Sanyo product you posted, I'd say use it to cook rice and use the older one for other foods. 👍
My rice cooker is nearly identical to leonmarino's model (he posted a picture as well), how would I do slow cooking with it, I thought you needed the fuzzy logic cookers to cook more complicated things... can I make brown rice with my rice cooker??

Do you know know of any recipe sites (in Japanese is okay) ?

Thanks for your help!

Oh, to anyone else, I also have a question for a friend, who asked me how to make sticky-rice w/out a rice cooker... My rice comes out perfectly with the rice-cooker, just as I like it... but they are using just a pan, and they don't plan on buying a rice cooker. Thanks again.

Oh, to anyone else, I also have a question for a friend, who asked me how to make sticky-rice w/out a rice cooker... My rice comes out perfectly with the rice-cooker, just as I like it... but they are using just a pan, and they don't plan on buying a rice cooker. Thanks again.
Yeah! That's my specialty. 👍

Anyways, you wash the rice of course, and let it stand in the right amount of water for a while. Than you start cooking it, on a mid-high fire. Now I had a pan with a glass lid so I could see when the water was absorbed by the rice, but you can also kind of guess, like when it's starts cooking over, when to lower the fire to mid-low fire. I let it on a mid-low fire for a few minutes, and then lowered it to the lowest for 10 minutes. After that you put it out and let it stand for 10 minutes. And then it's basically done!!

Many JREF members had posted their opinions on how to cook rice:
My Stupid Rice Thread

I think there are links on rice cooker dishes in the thread, but I'll post the ones I have:
Jaa Suihanki Ryori no ABC
Suihanki de Nikujaga

They're in Japanese, but I think you can figure it out since the recipes are quite simple. Otherwise, post in the Nihongo Forum. Makes good Japanese practice, too! 😊

I used to have more but found they've become dead links... 😌

Back
Top Bottom