What's new

Yay! I got my very first rice cooker~!!

yukio_michael

後輩
8 Mar 2005
プレスリリース (1997.1.16-1) | ニュース&トピックス | 東芝

img1601gif-1.jpg

Sorry, the only information is in Japanese, it is good for about 3 cups or so, I think, has a warmer, a clock, can be battery operated, can make rice-porridge, and has a 12 hour timer. It may be a very old model, from 1997?? But it's great, and better than the one I had while living in Japan... also, it was only $40 USD, bought from a girl from China moving back home after school.

I'm so excited; every morning I can have my rice ready for my breakfast/lunch when I wake up!

イエイ!

Congratulations with your first ever rice cooker!! 👍

I actually prefer to cook using no Suihanki.. At least, that's what I find most "authentic" for some reason. But as from next month I'll be having one of those babies too, and the prospect of being able to eat rice in the morning by setting a timer the night before is.. Well, it makes me happy!! :)

And? Does it work well Michael??

I think it is a nice cooker with a non sticky pan inside.
You may grill thinly-sliced meat as I did, but it is better that you cook rice first.

Congratulations :D

I want one of those rice cookers so baaad! I love the taste and consistency of that kind of rice... Italian rice doesnt taste like that >__< I miss that taste ^-^

You are happy.🙂
At first please master how to cook delicious rice.
Please coordinate the amount of water.
Please change the hardness of water into the others.
Please challenge takikomi gohan afterwards.👍

And? Does it work well Michael??
I'm still learning the features--- they are all in Japanese... I know (I think, which at least, is for porridge)... !! So, I am waiting till I familiarize myself with at least setting the clock before my first test-gohan! 😊

You are happy.🙂
At first please master how to cook delicious rice.
Please coordinate the amount of water.
Please change the hardness of water into the others.
Please challenge takikomi gohan afterwards.👍
All of these adventures are looked forward to, not unlike the excitement, and especially, the nervousness of Basho on his journey from Edo to Kyoto.

Last edited:
$40 bucks, that's quite a bargain for a rice cooker with a timer!
It's nice to see people who like to eat rice for breakfast. A lot of people I know including my husband think that rice in the morning is too much food, but I think rice is one of the few things give you enough energy that lasts well untill lunch time.

Enjoy and tell us how it's working for you.🙂

I'm working out the "timer" feature... if anyone can help point out the way I should set the timer say, to cook my rice for me when I wake up (ahhh I love the smell of cooking rice in the morning...) That would be appreciated.

I'll try to get a bigger picture of the front if needed.

Also, when I hit the "warmer" button, it blinks, and the display changes to a "9"... is it counting down? What's it doing??

wow cool a rice cooker i saw in the local Chinese shop a rice cooker for more then 20 cups it was HUGE!! (its normal it was mentioned for Chinese/Indonesian Resto's)

Congratulations with your cool rice cooker! :)

I think it's cute! :) I love kitchen gadgets. It's great that you cook!
I cook fairly decent (decent) Korean too... lol, the contents of my refrigerator resemble an Asian grocery store shelf...

I love cooking... but... recently I found a really tasty instant curry that discourages me from making my own home-made! 😊

Oh well, no shame in that, I don't hand-cook my own ramen or miso either! ;) I gave up on the dashi / miso paste (hard to figure out just how much miso & dashi to use... and I'm not a 'measurer'), and was glad that my local store got the miso with bonito extract included!

I'm on to yakisoba as my next attempt... that & more attempts at onigiri...

With undrentide's help, I got my first timed-waiting for me at home after work cooked rice! It was great, though, just like my rice cooker in Japan, sometimes I notice there is a bit of slightly browned rice at the bottom that touches the container... I had previously ha it set on porridge setting, and that just made the rice too dry, but it came out yummy and ready for me to eat after work, perfect!

More updates with my progress as they come. ;) There are still some buttons and features to learn.

Hey, Yukio_michael, if you can give me the product no., then I could download its instruction manual online, and maybe we could find out what the other buttons/functions are for!

Anyway, congrats and enjoy your rice!! :)

I think I've figured out most everything except what quick-cooking is, and if the clock is set to after midnight, or after noon... I don't know the difference! I'll keep at just rice for a little while, but I'm excited to find out what else I can make with it (bread I hear too!)...

Hey, Yukio_michael, if you can give me the product no., then I could download its instruction manual online, and maybe we could find out what the other buttons/functions are for!

undrentideニ探ニ停?慊 sent me a pdf of a similar but not the same model of rice-cooker, which is a lot more complex than mine... Here is a picture of the front of my rice-cooker:

p1020008ah7-1.jpg

My first time making rice I used the porridge setting, so my rice was all wrong! :p But, since then, I've been able to set the timer and have it be ready for me for when I come home late at night! So useful for me! Or--- I can set it to wake me up, with scent of cooking rice...

[excited-face]

-yui

ps. also, there is a little plug at the top of the cooker, I'm not quite sure what this is for... further, sometimes the cook-buttons don't seem to work, if i press timer, or any cook function it doesn't do anything... I'm not sure why... (I emailed the person I bought it from just now..)...

I unplugged it, (this worked before) plugged it into a different socket, nothing, plugged it back into different socket, it works again... could be old plugs in my house, I'm not sure. All homes here have pretty old plugs, none of them with a ground as is normal in new homes in the States.

I'll wait & see, but I was able to set the timer (finally), and it's ready go for tonight at least.

Last edited:
undrentideニ探ニ停?慊 sent me a pdf of a similar but not the same model of rice-cooker, which is a lot more complex than mine... Here is a picture of the front of my rice-cooker:

I tried to find the one for your model but the manufacturer offers manuals only for a few specific models, so the one I sent is the closest to yours in specifications. Though there are some differences, basics still seem to be the same - almost.
😌

ps. also, there is a little plug at the top of the cooker, I'm not quite sure what this is for... further, sometimes the cook-buttons don't seem to work, if i press timer, or any cook function it doesn't do anything... I'm not sure why... (I emailed the person I bought it from just now..)...

According to the manual the plug at the top of the cooker is a plug to let out the steam (to adjust the pressure inside). The cooker may have problems if it is clogged, so the manual recommend to take off the plug and wash it everytime you cooked rice.

The clock is not 24h, but you can see ナ津溪?楼 (am) and ナ津淒津」 (pm) on the panel.
This should help when you're setting the timer.
Happy cooking!
:)

The clock is not 24h, but you can see ナ津溪?楼 (am) and ナ津淒津」 (pm) on the panel. This should help when you're setting the timer.
Happy cooking!
:)
Aa! My clock was set wrong... it didn't matter, I just made sure my timer matched the same time as the clock... So, I'll fix that (I'm fussy about that sort of thing)...!

Thanks everyone for all the advice, tips, encouragement. : )

A recipe of cooking with a rice cooker.
http://sasapanda.net/archives/200402/26_0343.cgi
Buta no kakuni
(Cuts of pork boiled with sugar, soy sauce, sweet sake and salt of a pig)
to make with a rice cooker.
http://nennza.hp.infoseek.co.jp/suihanki/
http://nennza.hp.infoseek.co.jp/suihanki/ said:
ツ債。窶ーテア窶堙最?pナステ鞘?堙ーツ催ャ窶堙ゥ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙俄?堋ィ窶愿ゥツ静オ窶堙昶?堙個催樞?板ソツ、ニ坦ツーニ停?ー窶堙ーナスg窶堋「窶堙懌?堋オ窶堋スツ。ツ債サ窶愬凪?堋ェ窶堙遺?堋ュ窶堙??堙?窶堋ア窶堙娯?愬凪?「ツェ窶堙?十窶「ツェナ?テ??堋「窶堙?窶堙娯?堋ェツ出窶藩?湘」窶堋ェ窶堙ィ窶堙懌?堋キツ。
What!? Cola to sweeten the meat!? 😌
PS: I think I just might have the exact same rice cooker at my little brother's house.. Will check it out soon.

One thing I would recommend no to do even though it's said to be one of the features of your rice cooker, is that washing rice in the pot in which you cook the rice. By doing so repeatedly, you might scratch the inside coating which can damage the pot and also can be harmful to you.

I usually wash my rice in a bowl then put it in the pot afterwords.

Back
Top Bottom