What's new

WW2 Document translation help.

This place name is related to a soldier I have been researching lately. He was said to have been captured close to the Chindwin River, but the location was not stated.

45.jpg

This man has come to my attention today. It would be useful to know how he perished in 1943. Any help always much appreciated.

Ha2.JPG

Hi Everyone,

These three locations could well link a group of men together for my research. Any assistance with translation would be very much appreciated.

34R.jpg 35K.jpg 36H.jpg

Burma Iriwaddy river bank
Burma Iriwaddy river bank Saadon
Burma Sedan

You'll have to cross-reference the "Saadon" and "Sedan" with something to figure out what the place name was; as you know these are just Japanese phonetic renderings.

Thank you Mike. Sadon was a village in Kachin State, close to the Burma/China border and slightly to the east of the tributaries that ran into the Irrawaddy River. This is very likely the place mentioned on the cards.

Hi All,
This is a new man from my research. I'm looking for the cause of death from the image below. Any help always appreciated.

DH.jpg

Thank you Majestic, I have aded those characters to my ever increasing dictionary of terms.

Hello everyone. It is a long time since I was on the forum, but have had a family inquiry about a soldier who was picked up at a place in Burma in 1944. The place is recorded on the image I have uploaded and I would be grateful for any help in translating it please.

23.jpg

Thank you for your help and searching for the rail station. This one has me puzzled, but I have the weekend to work it out.:)

Hi Everyone,

I have received the attached reverse of a postcard sent at the end of WW2. I would be grateful for any help in translating it please, I realise this might be quite difficult and have no idea of the content of the message.

Many thanks.

IMG_6204 copy.JPG

Actually I can already tell this will be very easy to read for a native speaker. But I'm not a native speaker. :cool: Somebody else will help you.

Well... maybe slightly difficult as it is addressed to a Mr. Choe (Choy, various spellings) living in colonial Korea. The address is an address in Korea. Mr. Choe's first name is... difficult.

Korea
North Jeolla Province
Namwon County
Namwon Village
Hwajeongri
Addressed to
Japanese name: Yamamoto Yakudai (? unsure of first name)
Korean name: Choe Hokdae

I think his given name would be 成大, since it's a possible Korean male given name. For the rest, I agree with Majestic-san.

住所
朝鮮全羅北道南原郡南原邑花井里
Address
Hwajeongri, Namwon Village, Namwon County, North Jeolla Province, Korea

(the present 韓国全羅北道南原市 Namwon city, North Jeolla Province, South Korea)

日本的名
山本成大
Japanese name
Yamamoto Seidai/Shigehiro
(other pronunciations are possible)

高麗的名
旧名 崔成大
Korean name
former name Choe Sonde

Thank you all for your help here. It is interesting to have these details and the address, obviously I did not realise this related to a Korean address and recipient.

Back
Top Bottom