What's new

WW2 Document translation help.

bamboo43

後輩
14 Mar 2014
Hi All,

I have had invaluable help from the forum before and am in need of a translation of two short documents from WW2. A family has recently made contact with me in regard to the two men referred to on the attached cards. Any help would be much appreciated. The small attachment is a place name of some kind.

Many thanks.

JWB2.JPG
RS45.JPG
JWB.JPG

They are both death notices

Top:
Died: May 12, 1944
Cause of death: Beri beri
Onset of illness, November 20th, 1943
Place of death: Rangoon, Burma, Malaysia Camp #6
Burial place: Rangoon Cantonment Cemetery

Bottom:
Died: November 19th, 1944
Cause of death: Beri beri w/ Malaria
Onset of illness: July 15th, 1944
Place of death: Burma, Rangoon, Malay POW camp #4

Paper scrap = John William Block

Many thanks Majestic, I am very grateful to you.

I have two further scraps which must be place names from Burma. Would you have a look for me?
JWB2.JPG
RS2.JPG

I think the first one may be: Burma, near Mong Mit
Momeik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second one is even more difficult
Burma, 5 miles north of someplace - but I can't make out the name place. Looks like ウンソウ (Unso) , but there is no city in Burma that has a spelling that might sound like the Japanese spelling.

It could be ウンツウ Untsu / Untsuu / Untsū. I, either, can't find the city of this name, though.

Thanks so much to both of you for this excellent help. Mong Mit makes great sense in my research. I shall search for Unso/Untsu and variants, Burmese place names are very difficult to find.

With some detection I believe that the previous village was actually Wuntho. The man was taken to the railway station at Wuntho.

Here are two more similar cards on the same subject. Any help most gratefully received.

45.JPG
46.JPG

Died: August 11th, 1944
Cause of death: Beriberi, Colitis
Onset of illness: May 1st, 1944
Place of death: Burma, Rangoon, Malay POW camp #4
Burial place: Burma, Rangoon Cantonment Cemetery

Burma, East of the Irrawaddy River, North of someplace(something like "Jueli")

Thank you once again Toritoribe. In other documents for this man I have heard mention of the village of Lwewein, I wonder if this is the village named.

Thanks again.

Hmm, I don't think the name written on the paper refers to Lwewein. It would start with Ju, Jwu, Jwe, or maybe something like Gwe, Gwu.

I have another village location here for Burma. Any help with a translation would be much appreciated. Thanks as always.

34.JPG

Hi All,
This is my latest place name in need of translation (see attachment). It is for a man who became separated from his group in May 1943. Any help would be very much appreciated.

26.JPG

Hello to All,

Here are the latest documents which I need translated. The first is a place name, the second a description of the soldiers fate.

Any help most appreciated as always.

44.jpg

45.JPG

Burma, The riverside of Chindwin River

Died: 7AM, January 15, 1945
Cause of death: Beriberi
Onset of illness: December 21, 1943
Place of death: Malay POW camp #4

Hi All,

The latest place name I would be grateful for help in translating is attached. It is a description of a place or location for a lost soldier.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Be.F..jpg

Back
Top Bottom